Dead Poets Society




Robin Williams Art GIF

I'm not sure what I was doing with my life to not have ever seen Dead Poets Society until today, but it was very wrong of me. Man, is that a good movie! It makes me miss Robin Williams so much. It also makes me wish I were a poet or a writer, or just that I took more risks - CARPE DIEM! Also, I didn't expect the ending which had me bawling like a baby.

You know what I think is so great about the movie? It's ability to tug on your heart strings and make you want to move. There are not very many movies that can do that, and this was just one of them for me. I'm not sure if it was their excitement or their desire to just change. I feel like I am in need of that, a desire to change, a fire in my belly that bursts out from all my edges and makes me feel invincible. Just like Todd, standing up in front of the class unable to share his poem and coming up with it on the spot while Mr. Keating encouraged him to YAWP a barbaric YAWP.



I went ahead and searched for some quotes by Walt Whitman just to see if I could find something, and the first thing I saw caught my attention.

Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you. - Walt Whitman

Move towards the light, let the sun settle on you.
Show the imperfections and gather the warmth.
Let the darkness fall in heaps behind you.
Stand atop the darkness and do not falter.
What you see is what you get.
Light.
What you conquer is what you outlast.
Darkness.
The light fills what it touches, let it touch your soul.

- Shelby

Comments

Popular Posts