Let Your Light Shine

More often then not, I find myself with too many words to say. My stories get lost in explanation, or my thoughts get lost in stories. I feel like sometimes, things are just so... wrong. Not wrong in a sense as if my life is ending, but more wrong in a way that it hurts. Try, for one day to sit back and watch your every word. Do not offend or discomfort, do not make ill or take out of context. Watch what you say, and how you say it. Then see where your life is headed. I find that within my own life, I catch myself before I say things I shouldn't. Yet, when that strength and dedication to watch my every word starts to diminish, it can be so unbelievably bad.

My bishop in my ward gave each of us a challenge to work on in preparation for General Conference. He gave us four things to watch, and keep track of in our daily lives, so that we might get the most from the up-and-coming General Conference.

1. Be careful with the "media"
Don't watch things that are going to give you bad thoughts, or make you feel bad about yourself. Steer clear from gossip magazines and the television in general. The past week, after making some changes, I have watched probably a total of 7 hours of T.V. it has been fantastic. (That is like, nothing for me. Seriously.)
2. Show Love
Be genuine, care for others how you would want them to care for you. Make an effort to show someone you care, and that they matter to you, and to your life.
3. Forgive Others
Be forgiving, forgive people who hurt you. Forgive those who make your life hard, or that try and expose you to hurt or pain. Be forgiving.
4. Use a Soft Answer
Don't offend. Like I was talking about. Also, when people make you angry, or you get frustrated in a situation. Step back and review. Then give a soft answer.

Today in church our Stake President came and talked to us for the entire meeting. He was fantastic! I loved his talk. He talked about the Real Peter Principle. For those of you who have read the bible, you know the Peter I am talking about. Peter, though a very righteous man, was weak. He could recognize goodness, but he could never really follow through. Yet, after the Pentecost Peter went from dumb, dumb, dumb, to competent. Peter was a great leader and had the spirit with him. One thing he really stressed is that, no wicked people are not exempt from feeling the spirit, it is just not their "constant companion."

Strength does not come out of weakness. Strength comes out of humility which springs from weakness. When you deserve it the least, and need it the most, the Lord will be there. The atonement is not just for sins. The atonement is to pay for the blessings that are given to you. We don't seem to give God enough credit. We say, Satan is trying us so hard, and wants us on his side so badly. Satan doesn't want our souls a QUARTER of how much God does. God is wanting, and reaching, and waiting for our souls to come back to him. We are his children, Satan is nothing he wants for nothing but destruction.

There is so much that I wish I could just say and make clear, but I just can't. Not here anyways. (It's not even about this lesson I learned today.) I just needed to write.

xoxo all my love,
Shelby Lou

Comments

  1. I love this. I could use all of these things in my life...especially trying to use 'soft words'. I am NOT good at that!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts