Consistency in 2017

I've been thinking a lot about what a new year means to me. I'd like to be one of those people who just doesn't notice the new year starting, or even starts their new year on their birthday because, hello that's a real new year. I'm just not though. I'm definitely one to follow the hype, I like the new year and the idea of starting "fresh". You go through the holidays at the end of every year and for some people they are awesome and jam packed full of activity. Others are lonely during the holiday season and feel like it just drags on. Then one day you wake up and it is like the world is new. It's kind of magical.

So for me, this year is the start of more consistency. I'm hoping to be more consistent in health, relationships, the gospel, and happiness. Less anxiety, less depression, and more GOOD. In order for all of this consistency to come to pass I've narrowed my resolutions down to two things.

1. Love God First
2. Use My Fitness Every Weekend

I'll start with number two. Last year my goal was to go on one adventure a month. This year my goal is to use my fitness every weekend. With all of the workouts I do and the time I spend at the gym or thinking about the gym, I should be applying my fitness more often. Whatever it takes to make that happen is what I'm going to do. Most weekends I find myself alone at home and wishing I were out doing great things. This year, I'm going to change that. I'm going to go out and do great things, even if I am alone- but hopefully I'm not all of the time. I feel like this goal is something that will help me achieve more than just better physical health. I know that it will push me emotionally as well.

Over the past few years of being home from my mission I have become much more introverted. I didn't used to be this way, but times have changed and I've accepted the fact that I have too. Change is a necessary part of life. It is what makes the flowers bloom in the spring and the snow fall in the winter. It is also what will make me into the person I need to be at the time I need to be her. I have little, but some, faith in that.

Speaking of faith. Man has faith been hard for me lately. I had a friend define me as "solid in the gospel" earlier this week. How I wish he had been right. Part of change has been a change in my desires and a shift in my faith. However strong I have been in the past, that strength just isn't there for me as much anymore. As I have struggled with going to church, reading my scriptures and praying I have found out something about myself. I am a starving soul. I long for things that I cannot seem to grasp. I try to feed myself but I never seem to get the portions right.

Part of the gospel, of my first goal, is loving God more than we love ourselves. Which you think wouldn't be too difficult for someone who most of the time doesn't love herself. However, that assumption is wrong and so is assuming that people are strong when we are all so weak. Loving God doesn't have to be difficult, it has been easy for me in the past. What it does have to be is first, and THAT is what I think is the most difficult thing. Deciding that FIRST you will do the things God asks because you love him, and THEN you will move on down the line.

All of this to say that this year is a fresh start, a chance to be more consistent. And I'm really looking forward to it.

Comments

  1. It sounds like you've gotten really in tune with yourself and what you need in your life. It's okay to have peaks and valleys in your relationship with God; sometimes just knowing you feel out of sync means God matters to you and I can tell this will motivate you to find ways to get back to a place where you feel more spiritually connected. I hope you have a wonderful year of developing good habits towards your goals and enjoying you life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been struggling with similar problems too. Many ups and downs throughout 2016. This year with a new outlook on life and a new point of view on things we will be better. God is number one. Keeping your health is very important too with age your body changes. Have a good year and always pray when you have problems. Run every morning to clear your mind.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts