A Year of Adventures - 2016

In 2016 I decided that for my "resolution" for the year I would go on at least one adventure a month. I would do something that I might not normally do, and step outside of my comfort zone. It was quite the year! Although not everything was a step-outside of my comfort zone completely, it was a fun year with a lot of different activities.

January -

I went to New York with Britny and Kjarinda and it was THE BEST trip I've ever been on. We did everything we could think of. We went to museums, churches, and we saw Finding Neverland.



February-

I went with my oldest sister Emily out to the desert to camp for the weekend. It was a lot of fun hanging with Carter and Jase, and riding Jase around on the four wheeler. I did fall off the back of Carters quad, but I didn't break anything, so I'm calling it a win.


Also in February I went to my first presidential rally. I supported Marco Rubio, and was interviewed by a few different people. I'm still sad he didn't get the chance to run against Hillary.


March-

In March I went to Disneyland with Britny and Kjarinda, and ended up meeting some of the best people of all time. Our trip was super quick, but also really fun. Everything worked out for us perfectly and the lines were so short while we were there we were actually grateful when we had to wait for Thunder Mountain Railroad for 15 minutes. Let's just say we got all of our steps that day.


April-

In April my great friend Lindsay got us in to the American Country Music Festival down on the strip. We saw Dierks Bentley, Carrie Underwood, Martina McBride, Lee Brice, Chris Stapleton and a few more. It was everything my country girl heart could've dreamed of and more!


Also in April, Heidi and I got to see Erich Bergen perform at the Smith's Center and we met him afterwards. If you don't know who he is you need to listen to him sing, as well as act. He plays Blake on one of our favorite TV Shows, Madam Secretary.


May-

My family and I went to BOSTON in May. I had been dreaming of going for a while and mentioned to my Mom that I might just take a solo trip out there and next thing I knew we were all going. I love American history and it was a great trip. Boston has amazing food, and historical sights. We didn't get to go everywhere I wanted to but we did go to the place I wanted to go to the most. John Adam's house. It was AMAZING- I can't even really put into words how cool it was. Oh, and we saw a Red Sox game! So cool.




June-

In June, I started Crossfit! I went to my first class with Heidi and Montana and we totally crushed it (aka we stunk). It was so scary going in for the first time, but it ended up being something that has changed my life and I love it.


Something else that changed my life in June? I saw GARTH BROOKS LIVE! Back in December when the tickets went on sale I splurged and bought three tickets one for me and one for each of my sisters. We spent the night singing our hearts out and maybe even getting a little teary eyed. It was the best concert I've ever been to, hands down.


July-

In July I went to Girls Camp for the third year in a row. This time I went as the YCL Leader. I was in charge of about 30 of the 16-18 year old girls. It was the hardest but most rewarding thing I had done. I would do it again in a heartbeat, I love those girls more than I love myself.



I also turned 26 in July, it was pretty low-key but you know, it's worth mentioning.


August-

In August Heidi and I went to see The Sound of Music at the Smith's Center. It was a really good show. I'm so glad that I decided to buy season tickets to the Smith's Center this year, super good choice.


September-

In September I went to the cabin with my family for Labor Day weekend. It is always fun going to the cabin. We got to go on a long RZR ride and just hang out together. It was a good weekend



October-

In October Heidi, Trey, Janeen and I went to see Yellowcard on their final tour ever. It was so bittersweet and made all of us think that we are old and probably can't hang on the floor by the mosh pits anymore.


One big thing I did to step out of my comfort zone in October was that I went to a Halloween party for my gym by myself. Admittedly, I didn't stay very long, but I did have a good time being there and I look forward to next years party. I dressed as the Mad Hatter this year, and even dyed my hair purple for the costume!


We also had the 6th Annual Pumpkin Carving Contest at my house again. It just gets better every year.


November-

THE MONTH OF GILMORE GIRLS! The Gilmore Girls revival finally came out in November and Jordan and I watched it at Midnight... while black Friday shopping between episodes. It was so much fun and I loved spending time with Jordan watching our favorite show together. I think we would both admit we didn't like it as much as we hoped we would, but it was still fun.


Janaye and I went to see Carrie Underwood that same weekend and it was a lot of fun. That was another spur of the moment decision.


December-

This month was full of little adventures. I got set up on a blind date at the beginning of the month after getting out of a relationship that obviously didn't work out, and it ended up being a lot of fun. Then my friend Ashley from the gym went we with me and my Dad on a RZR ride and it was a blast! Ashley and I also did the 12 Days of Christmas workout together on Christmas Eve at the gym and we didn't die, which is always a good thing.




Looking back on it now, this year was really great. It had it's ups and downs but it was a year of growth and learning and LOTS of fun things. I'm hoping that 2017 has even more fun things to offer and I guess if growth and learning are a part of it, I'll take those things too.

Happy New Year everyone!!

Comments

  1. What an incredible sounding year! Wish you'd made it to Boston when I lived there--I miss it so much, my favorite place I've lived in the U.S. <3 Happy 2017, Shelbs!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts