Weakness & Adversity

Do you ever feel like despite your works, your faith is weak? Kind of like you are running and not getting anywhere. I feel like that a lot. I also feel like it is a hard feeling to express, because it's not really running, but it's not working either, it's just living.

Living to me is BIG. I only really feel alive when I'm doing good things. The moment I start to relax, let go, and step back, are the moments when I feel darkness pour in around me. I keep myself extremely busy for fear that anxiety and depression will sneak their way into my life again and destroy the very foundations I have set. And sometimes, despite my work and despite my faith, I feel weak.

I used to pray that Heavenly Father would forgive me for my weaknesses. Until I learned that weakness isn't a sin. Sin is a sin, but weakness is just weakness. As human beings we are subject to all sorts of weaknesses, but we must learn to overcome them. We must learn to use our weaknesses to our advantage.

"Adversity teaches us things we cannot learn otherwise. Adversity helps to develop a depth of character that comes in no other way. Our loving Heavenly Father has set us in a world filled with challenges and trials so that we, through opposition, can learn wisdom, become stronger and experience joy." - Dieter F. Uchtdorf

My adversity may not be the loss of a loved one, or not having a job. My adversity isn't illness or disease. My adversity stares at me in the mirror, sleeps in my bed, and follows me everywhere I go. Self-doubt, hate, and loathing are my weaknesses. And although those things are not things to love, they are things to hold tight to, to grasp hard and shake; until one day...they shrivel into bits on the floor. Because weakness and opposition make us stronger and help us experience joy.

Hell is getting to the end of the road and seeing who you could've been.

Don't despair if you feel your faith is weak. It just means you are growing stronger. You may not see it or understand it, but OH HOW GLORIOUS THE WORK OF THE LORD. When one day you look back and can see how far you have come. I believe that day will be worth all the pain that happens now. It will all be ok in the end, and if it's not ok, it is not the end.

"It is your reaction to adversity, not the adversity itself, that determines how your life's story will develop." - Dieter F. Uchtdorf

Comments

Popular Posts