Character

Things don't last forever. All the material things we obtain in this life will one day fade away. I know it sounds crazy especially during the Christmas season when we seek to obtain more and more things, or better yet, give them to others. I'm not denying the ability a new shirt or shoes have to make us happy, because there is happiness in that, I'm just saying that one day... it will all fade away. I don't know why really, my heaven is a Pinterest board filled with good outfits, awesome decorations and books galore. But I know that whatever God has planned will be ten times better. The main thing is though, we can't be our stuff. We are not the amount in our bank accounts, or the car we drive, we are so much more.

Our characters are what matter. The person we are inside, is the only thing we can take with us.

"But if ye neglect the tree, and take no thought for its nourishment behold it will not get any root; and when the heat of the sun cometh and scorcheth it, because it hath no root it withers away.. But if ye will... nourish the tree as it beignets to grow, by your faith with great diligence, and with patience, looking forward to the fruit thereof, it shall take root: and behold it shall be a tree springing up unto everlasting life." - The Book of Mormon, Alma 32: 38, 41.

I heard a talk (aka speech) the other day from one of my church leaders that talked about Spiritual Gifts. Spiritual Gifts are our character traits, the people we are when no one is looking. I myself, have a lot of work to do. I have realized though, through listening to that talk and reading the above scripture, that it takes diligence, patience and long-suffering to become better. It isn't instant. I am the type of person who wants instant gratification. I hate diets because it always takes forever to see results. I'm not one for goals because I don't see the instant success most of the time. I'm looking for consistent "wow" moments and I'm forgetting to just live.

Let me tell you something, living in constant fear of not being good enough, is horrible. This isn't something I'm proud of, or lean into. It's just something that happens. This is part of my character. A part that I don't want to take to Heaven with me. I want to replace that fear and worry with faith and happiness. However, it takes time. There is a common expression that, "Rome wasn't built in a day" neither were our personalities. Unlike Rome, our personalities are as permanent as we decide them to be. We can be impatient for eternity, or we can take 40 years out of that huge expanse of time, and learn patience.

I'm not perfect, but I can choose to be better, no matter how long it takes.

Comments

Popular Posts