Better

So I decided to throw it back and put up a part of my mission journal on the blog. I was reading it earlier it's about being a better missionary. I think it relates to being a better human, and I'm going to try and apply it. Man, I was so much smarter two years ago. 

1. Make everyone you meet feel like they are special and that you have interest in them.
Because everyone deserves that. Everyone is unique and special and we all have interesting parts to our characters that make us who we are. Think about all the people you meet in a day and how many of them you barely consider. How depressing is that? I need to get better at this because I love people, some of them are crazy but mostly they are great if you get to know them.

2. Share your knowledge and love for the gospel by applying it to life through illustrations.
In teaching the gospel, it is usually best to tell stories and illustrate your point. I think that's the same with life. We need to tell stories and give examples in all that we do. That doesn't mean we have to spend hours explaining something simple. The point is to get so good at sharing what you know (whatever that might be) through stories that it is all very easy to understand.

3. Have absolute faith in God and an unwavering testimony.
This one is difficult. I try sometimes, and it's the hardest thing for me. I suck at giving up control.

4. Pray for help in all teaching situations.
This applies to all kinds of teaching situations, and service situations and anything where you are helping someone else. To have the big guy on your side would help a lot.

5. Ask better questions while teaching. Make an effort to ask things that are simple but have the ability to make others think. 
I have so many dull conversations with people, it's so true that good questions lead to good relationships. When we ask the right things, we get the right answers. But we can't be overbearing, we just have to ask things that bring to light real feelings. Maybe instead of, How are you? You could ask, How do you feel at your new job? Or whatever others thoughtful questions you could think of. 

Comments

Popular Posts