#Utah



 If I had a nickel for every time someone said, "thanks for the invite" this weekend, I'd have a lot of nickels.

Seriously though, something that really irks me is social media. No matter how well you intend to use it, it normally backfires. I went to Utah again this weekend to spend time with my best friend Britny. She is following her passions and moving to Guatemala for three months to immerse herself in the language. Lucky pup! Britny and I were companions on our missions and we have been really tight ever since. We decided to try and get a bunch of people together on Saturday night in Provo. We each posted about it on our Facebook walls, then waited. Assuming not too many people would show up because of the late notice, Friday night, we didn't think much of it. However, on Saturday night we were shocked to see so many familiar faces. It was a great time, fun was had by all. Regrettably, a few people got lost or didn't show up. What was weird was, after the event people commented, "thanks for the invite". I guess not everyone checks their social media on a daily basis, but is that our fault? Most definitely not. We didn't want to make it a huge production, so we just threw the idea out there, hoping for at least a few people to show up. I mean, this wasn't a full fledged mission reunion or anything, it was just a hang out.

I apologize if you are reading this, and you felt left out, that was not meant to happen. I really do think though, that we should all be mature enough to say, "bad timing", and move on.

For those that did attend, it was grand. I love seeing mission friends, it's like coming back to who I want to be. Although I try not to change who I am, I feel more like myself when I am around people I served with. I would venture to say that my mission self was the closes I've ever been to being 100% Shelby. A lot of people I know felt like their personalities were stifled on the mission. I can remember some moments where what I could act the way I really wanted to, but in the end, the reason behind it was usually a good one. Although I went through a major depression/anxiety on my mission, when the times were good, they were REALLY good. I miss it every single day.

This past weekend I also had the opportunity to visit one of my old friends, Jane. Jane and I used to be roommates together in Logan. I missed her terribly, and was so excited to meet her husband. The two of them are perfect together, even down to their personal style. Her little apartment was beautiful and full of whimsy and magic, just like her personality. We had finished dinner and Jane told me that she had a book I needed to read. It was called, The Happiness Project by Gretchen Ruben. I had seen the book before and intended to read it, but this was a good reminder. So, on Monday morning before heading home, I purchased the book off Audible.com. Best decision ever.

If you've read my blog you know I've tried and failed to do something to help others love their lives. This book is all about that. It's about being happy, and becoming even happier. I loved it. I've decided to do my own happiness project and I'm going to start soon. In her book Gretchen comes up with personal commandments, rules to live by, and tons of resolutions. I started something like this near my birthday. I tried to come up with goals and plans for my 24th year and how I would spend it. A month later I feel like I've only barely inched forward towards those things. So, as soon as I have a little bit of time, hopefully this weekend, I'm going to put it together. Then I will blog all about it.


All in all this weekend was amazing! Hiking, the temple, dinner with friends, treats with friends, The Fault in Our Stars the extended version, movies at the Capitol, more hiking, church, mission friends, good books, a new temple dress, and a really delicious hot dog. It was definitely my kind of weekend!


Comments

Popular Posts