Talents - Little & Big

When I was eight my parents bought a baby grand piano. I was so excited to start piano lessons. As I begun taking lessons, I loved them. Of course there were days when I didn't want to do my scales or even look at those piano books but in exclusion of those times, I enjoyed playing. This went on until my Sophomore year in high school. I was a semi-skilled piano player. I played at a concert at Ham Hall at UNLV, I took by-ear exams, and played recital after recital. THEN, I got bored. I wanted long nails and to go into acting. Piano just wasn't for me. I was "too cool".

My best friend since second grade is an awesome singer. I remember once, in preparation for a road-show or talent-show type thing at church, we traveled to Buffalo and Charleston to the house of this man who would rip the words from a tape so you could sing solo. I cannot tell you how often we listened to the song, "I Want Candy" by Aaron Carter that spring. He continued on with his singing, and still does it from time to time. Eventually though, it didn't take precedence. All the equipment he bought started to get kind of dusty, and he just put it on the back burner. Instead he chose Volleyball, and he was really good at that too!

The problem here is this; neither of us have that "one thing" that we are known for. Sure some people know Blair as a music man, but a whole other section of people know him as a volleyball player, or a vlogger, or even a video game enthusiast. Some people know me because I blog, others know me because of Student Council, a few see me for my organization skills, and even fewer find me as a comedian of sorts. All of these things are good, and it's great to be able to do these things, it's just hard sometimes.

What I find difficult is finding a groove, or a place, among the garden of talents. I don't fit in any area. Now, this isn't to say that I want to be ordinary, but I do want to be known for something. I guess being known for multiple things has it's perks, it just feels wrong sometimes. Especially when there are so many people around me that have their "thing".

It's the same thing with work. Blair and I, we have ideas of what we want to be, we just... I don't know... aren't there yet. Plus it's hard to get somewhere when you aren't quite sure exactly where you want to go. I've been accused of doing things because they are "popular". Well, if you see something that makes someone else so happy, don't you have the desire to try it too? I do. I always want to try new things and see if they make me happier than I am now. We are taught to progress and grow, and really the only thing that makes that happen is when we step out of our comfort zone.

Nevertheless, I'm not unhappy having multiple little talents. I just wonder sometimes if there is a "main talent" out there for me, and I just haven't found it yet.

What are your talents?
What do you wish were your talents?
Who's talents do you admire the most?
What talent do you wish you never had?

Comments

Popular Posts