Great Weekend!

This past weekend was one of the best weekends I've had in a long time. At home. I should put that in there somewhere. I haven't had very good weekends at home in a while, so this one was the best I've had. The weekend before last I headed to Utah, where my heart and soul resides. It was fantastic. I loved hanging out with old high school buddies, floating the river, and having a party at a mission friends cabin in Park City. It was glorious. Anyways, back to this weekend.

On Friday I went to get my hair done by Janaye, I wanted to cut it just like Taylor Swifts, because her hair is amazing right now. The side-swept bangs and all. So I did, and colored it lighter. I think it was a good decision. I always like getting my hair done, it makes me feel like a better person. After that I headed home for a night to myself. I sat around and at pizza and hot popcorn while reading The Great Gatsby and Harry Potter. It was a good night indeed. I love reading. It is the greatest thing. I think what I love most about it is feeling transported. When you are in the heat of the moment in a book and you just feel exactly what is happening. Occasionally, this can be a scary thing, but usually it is good.





On Saturday morning I woke up and drove out to Henderson. It's not my favorite drive because it remind me a lot of driving out there when I had good reason to. It makes me sad, and I don't particularly like being sad. However, it was for good enough reasons. My friend Michael is back from New York. We met in New York while serving for our church. It was awesome to see him again, I hadn't seen him for nearly 10 months! It's crazy how fast time flies. I picked him up and we drove back to my side of town. We had decided to go hiking and to take my sister Jordan's dog Ace with us. Ace is a big doberman, and doesn't get out much, so I thought he would like the hike. We drove up to Mount Charleston to my favorite trail, Fletcher Canyon Trail. I've hiked this trail multiple times, and I love it. It starts out pretty barren and full of bushes, then climbs upward into trees and then slopes back down into a canyon. It's so cool to walk through and have your hands touch both sides of the canyon walls at once. Ace did a pretty good job on the way up, but by the time we were heading down he was over it. He was walking so fast that I had to have Michael take him because he about pulled me down a slippery slope. (I do not have very good balance)

I love hiking. LOVE it. It makes me feel so good. The upward climb is always a bit difficult, but once you reach the top and start your way back, it makes it all worth it. I'm looking forward to hiking to the top of Mount Timpenogas this September with Kendall and a few of her friends. It's going to be AMAZING.

After hiking I dropped Michael off at his house and got my car washed. Having a huge dog in the back seat was not the cleanest thing. I decided since I was close, I would get Chipotle. I love Chipotle. I used to be an avid Cafe Rio fan, but the past few times I've gone its been pretty gross. Plus Chipotle has the best little things to read on all of their stuff. It's great.

Later on, I had an inner struggle. I had told Michael about how I had been going to the temple with my sister EVERY WEEK for the past month. But this week, I didn't have the chance to go, so I still needed to. He had said he and his parents were going to go that night, so I thought I would go. Once I got home, and at an entire chicken bowl, I was tired and didn't really want to drive all the way up to the temple. I tried talking myself out of it for a couple of hours, but finally decided I would go. I got ready and met Michael at the temple at 5:30. We tried to get into the 5:30 session, but we weren't quick enough. We stayed for the 6 o'clock session and it was awesome. I love going to the temple and I'm so glad I didn't break my streak. Now let's see if this can hold while school starts.

Today is Sunday and it was the first time I went visiting teaching since being home from my mission. I know, shame on me, I'm a horrible visiting teacher. I think I've given myself enough of a hard time about it though. My new companion is Cici, she is from Mexico and I love her for it. She speaks perfect english, but she also speaks spanish and it just makes me happy. We never really talk in spanish, but one day we will and I can feel it. The thing about talking to people in spanish once you have spoken in english is that you have to be really comfortable with them. At least for me.

Rachel nominated me to do the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge and I accepted, I donated then did the challenge tonight at my sister Emily's house. It was fun, and not as bad as I thought. I think it's a really clever way to get people thinking about ways to donate to charities and such. It is a great charity, and I would suggest anyone go and donate. www.alsa.org/donate

Tomorrow is the first day of the semester. I am taking a philosophy class and a Spanish class. I'm actually pretty nervous for both. The philosophy class is online and I had to buy three different books for it, and the spanish class is, well, a spanish class. Hopefully I'm not to horrible at it, and it's not too difficult. Work has been super busy lately as well, so I'm just hoping that I can balance everything.


Comments

Popular Posts