Three Little Words



I opened my eyes to a world of tired, lost, fools. 
People who didn't like who they were or even cared who they could become. 
Instead of dreams of love and trust, there was an outpour of lust. 
I blinked away the tears that gathered in on the creases of my eyes and began to publish peace. 
Peace of mind, peace of heart, piece of someone. A piece of art, or literature. Whatever could help it. 
My heart opened wider than it ever had, the edges reaching farther and longer than I had ever imagined. 
I let them come inside. 
The fools, the uncaring, and the unkind. 
If there were no home for them in this world, they could live in mine. 
My faith. My happiness. My heartache. 
Despite my best efforts, the wideness and length of my new strained heart could not fit them, could not handle them, could not bear the weight that sat centered on my chest, lifting with my knees and not with my back, I tried to make an effort to haul them to happiness. 
But it's been said that love is more than just three little words, it is about all the changes you make. Oh how I had changed, evolved, grew, acquired something new.
I wasn't anything like I had been and for what? For who? Fools? 
Yes. 
I did it all for foolish people, with foolish ideas, and foolish habits. 
Deficient in judgement, sense and understanding.
Yet, so was I. 
But unlike some of them, my heart had learned how to share. I knew how to love and love hard. And not just because I had to, but because I wanted to.
In the end, I couldn't save any of them.
Three little words mean nothing to those who have no desire to change.
I said in the end and I think I mean in presage of things not yet begun.
Inasmuch as I had felt a failure in the art of changing and molding others, I knew that my love, no matter if it was pushed aside or neglected, was to have a never-ending affect on the lives of those it touched. 
It was to spark the beginning of an entirely new chapter of hopes, dreams and untamed talents.
And if that's all it was, a spark or speck in time.
Well then... fine.


Today, I felt inspired. I listened to this TED talk by Sarah Kay, and she is an amazing poet. When I say amazing, I mean HEART MELTING. I mean, she took the stage and made it her own. I've always wanted to be a writer. Ever since middle school. I just rarely have the patience for it. I decided today though, that I would try my hardest to get back into it. So, this was something I wrote, and I really like it. It is about serving a mission, and loving the people you serve. I hope whoever reads this enjoys it. Please leave comments below and let me know what you think, it would really be appreciated. 

Comments

  1. I think the poem is awesome. We can't loose sight of helping others even if it comes at a personal cost. Being selfless is being happy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts