Out of the Box

There are days and weeks where I keep entirely to myself and don't try and branch out at all. It's been like that ever since I got back from New York, and for some reason it has been hard to be my normal outgoing self. Lately, I have been hearing a lot about talents. Some examples, talking to Jared last night about things we are good at. He is good at EVERYTHING. He doesn't even have to really try, he just is. I, however, am not so fortunate. I think I'm either mediocre at stuff, or completely horrible. Then, I was on Facebook and saw a post that my friend Christina wrote about how one of her talents was making friends, which was something we had decided I was really good at. I'm pretty good at making friends, and even though I can't showcase my talent or sell it for money, it is still a talent.

Everyone was born to do something. We have a purpose here and the talents we have aren't just things that are in a show or posted on youtube. They are meant to help us excel and become like our Father in Heaven. We each have something we are good at, and all of those "somethings" serve a bigger purpose. More often then not, we forget that.

So, on Monday night I went to FHE. It was a good FHE, but I felt restless after and wanted to do something. I started chatting with my friend Brock and he invited me to come with him to get Arepas out in downtown Las Vegas. Normally, I would go home and sleep seeing as work wakes me up at a quarter to six. Instead, I branched out. These are things I would have normally done in high school with no second thought, or on the mission (in a different context of course) and now it's much more difficult. Needless to say, it was a step in the right direction. We headed downtown, Brock, Jared W, Janaye and I. It was so much fun! We made jokes in the car, listened to the 5 songs Brock had on his phone, I'm still disappointed in his amount of music, and just had a great time. The Arepas were really good, and it was definitely worth it. After having fun with friends and doing something different, I felt SO MUCH BETTER. It was as if a huge weight had been lifted off my chest.



I just think it's cool how when we apply the talents we have to our lives, we can be happy. Happiness comes in different ways, and this is one of them. So I guess my challenge for whoever may be reading this, is to think of your talents and use them to be happier. I know it will bless your life, and the lives of others if you do it, so go for it!


THINK ABOUT IT:
What are your talents?
What have you done to step outside of your comfort zone recently?


Comments

Popular Posts