Letter from Hermana DeLong

This week was an interesting week. First, I'd like to thank Mom and Janaye for the packages, I love everything in them! Especially the scarf and the homemade rice krispie treats! Well, like I said this week was interesting. On Monday night we had a dinner appointment with Hermana Panotja. She is from El Salvador and wanted to make us papusas. She ended up having it at this other lady's house and we had to go out of our area so we knew before time that it had to be a quick appointment. We had another appointment at 7:30pm really far away, so we went in and ate as fast as we could. But she just kept giving us papusas!! It was 100 degrees in there and we were trying to figure out a way to get out quickly. Thankfully the Elder's showed up and we gave them our extra papusas and hot chocolate, supposably in el savlador they drink hot chocolate with their papusas, but it was so stinkin' hot in there! We said thank you and ran out of the building down the stairs right past the zone leaders (Elders) We ran almost all the way to the train about a mile and a half and we felt so sick.
But it was worth it because we got to eat and then we went to Cueva's House. Hermana Cuevas has a brother who is less-active and a sister who is not a member, and they were having a birthday party/ family home evening at their house. It was fun, and we met two new people to teach, her sister and her brother's wife. They are all really cool and dominican. Hermano Cuevas asked me what dad did and I told him to look at the website. It's on his favorites list now, he loves big machinery and stuff.
We had deep clean on tuesday and I have a video of me taking apart the bathtub drain to get all the hair out of it. It's awesome. I will try and send it. WE also went to the Cuevas' again, we had a challenge that if we talked to 125 people in one week and got 25 address, they would buy us sushi. So we got sushi and it was really good. We also taught them about PMG Lighting Rounds. (Preach my gospel is the manual we use and study from each day.) And lighting rounds are when you pick a lesson and you try and memorize the summary points and give a lesson using all of them in 4 minutes. It's awesome. They loved it and we are excited to help them with it so they feel more comfortable teaching with us.
On Wednesday it was the anniversary temple trip for some of the sisters in the mission. Half-way through your mission you get to go to the temple. Can you believe I'm only 3 months away from being half-way through my mission?! Crazy! Anyways so one of the new sisters got to come on a mini exchange with us. Her name is Hermana Nicholls and she is pretty cool. Maybe I will be her companion one day.
We had actual exhanges on Thursday. Sister Gray went to Rego Park and Sister Hughes came here to Midwood. It was weird having a different companion for  a day, but fun. WE had cold spagehtti and chicken for dinner at our DA. The member literally pulled the sauce out of the fridge and served it to us. It was gross. We went and taught a lesson to Maria Jose and the next day on Firday we went and saw a sick member in our ward. She had kidney stones and had to have surgery. She's had them 14 times in the past 8 years and they can't figure out why. On friday night hermana gray and I went to a dinner appointment at the Cardona Family's house. The food was good, but even better.. they have a one-eyed pug named Oreo who sounds like a monkey when he barks. He only had one eye because his other eye exploded. They told us the story and I laughed so hard I almost peed my pants. I'm not sure if it was supposed to be funny or now. He kept stealing huge pieces of bread from the kitchen. It reminded me of the time Cozad ate Aunt Dana's cranberry loaf of bread at Christmas.
Hermana Cardona always talks to me like I know what she is saying but I have no idea. She looks me in the eye and just talks and talks and I just shake my head like I know what she is saying, and pray that she doesn't ask me any questions. She told us a story about how when she was 10 her mom left for the US so she had to take care of her baby sister and one time she dropped her on her head. I started laughing again.. again.. I don't think it was supposed to be funny. I had bad timing that night. haha
On Saturday we went by a few less-active members houses to invite them to the open house we are having this Saturday. It's going to be interesting. We also went to hula practice for the last time because today is the Luau! FINALLY! Well. Tomorrow we find out who is training the new missionaries and on saturday we get transfer calls. Which means we know if we are in or out of our area, but we don't find out where we will move until next Tuesday at transfer meetings. Training is a big deal. President Calderwood picks who is trainging before anyone else. The opportunity to train is big because not everyone trains. We will see what happens I guess, because there are 3 new spanish sisters and 4 places they could go. and really only 3 places because one of those places probably is going to stay the way it is. So we have been freaking out trying to figure out what is going on. Because this is the first time for me, that things can really change. Because I have finished training so, I'm kind of stressed out trying not to worry about it, but it's hard.
I've learned a lot this week about how we need to be obedient. Obedience is a principle of power and gives us freedom. I just know that when we are obedient we are more able to do what the Lord has in store for us.
On Sunday we had a baptisim. Eddie got baptized! His son Jeremiah was supposed to be baptized, but his mom said no at the last minute and we were all really sad. They are going to try and talk to her this week so he can get baptized this sunday. Eddie's baptisim was really goot though!
We went to the Statue of Liberty today. I've decided I don't like traveling, and doing touristy things. It's just not my thing. I really just wanted to go to the Family History center and take the tour of the musem on ellis island and not be all over the place and not worry about what's this person want to do and blahblahblah. So I didn't really have a lot of fun. My attitude wasn't the best, and I guess we just have to learn from that. I'm my Father's daughter, and I think I'd rather just sit down and drink a coke and watch other people work on my day off. HAHAHA Oh man, I'm a bad missionary.

ANYWAYS.

I love you all and I will attach pictures!
Pray for me that this week will be good, and please write me letters. Or have your friends write me letters. It get's lonely out here.

Hermana DeLong

Comments

Popular Posts