Letter From Hermana DeLong July 30, 2012

Well. Another week down. Don't things seem like they are passing by so quickly? Because I feel like I've been here forever. Wow. Well here are a few things that happened this week.

I taught myself how to french braid my own hair. It was awesome. Now I can french braid my hair instead of leaving it down and being really hot, and having it in a pony tail and looking ugly. So it's pretty cool. I am proud of myself. I've included pictures of my first braid and the perfected one. BIG NEWS I KNOW! Okay, other than that. We got stuck in the rain the other night. It was so nasty outside and we were standing on the street by the church trying to decide to go out and teach or go home. So we decided to go home and as we were walking the wind picked up and this guy walks past us and says, "You better hurry and get home before the tornado comes and scoops you up to the sky!" Well, we didn't get scooped up but we did get poured on. Sister Gray was running in front of me and I was holding her hand because I couldn't see anything. Then we finally made it to our apartment and this guy in the lobby took pictures of us completely drenched. 

We had lunch with a peruvian family. They made us this potato salad stuff and we also had this spinach rice stuff. It was a lot of  food and it was really good. I loved it actually. I'm starting to like the food more and more. Another thing we did this week was we had a district meeting where I was the teacher. I taught on praying with faith. It was a really good topic to teach on because praying is so important. I told them about how I remember before my mission always going into my Mom's room after a long day and sitting on her floor and just talking to her about everything I did that day, and how I never really thought of it as much. But then I realized that I get that same chance to talk to my Heavenly Father every day and at anytime of the day. I'm just so glad that I have a Heavenly Father that loves me and that wants to know how my day went, and wants to help me make myself better. It was our last district meeting together. Because TRANSFERS ARE HERE! Anyways... so transfers are what happens every 6 weeks. My first 12 weeks in the field are training weeks so I didn't get transferd for the first 12 weeks. So I might go to a new area at the end of these 6 weeks but no one knows. We are all in a big "WHO KNOWS" limbo because of the new mission president he is changing things around quite a bit. Sister Gray says that after my third transfer I might train. Her first child (person she trained) is training now. So she is guessing that I will too. I'm just praying that I'm on the island for winter. I want to be out in the open for winter and not stuck in the city. BUT THAT IS FOREVER AWAY!

On Dad's birthday we went to the store and bought orange gatorade and it was super good. We have pictures of us drinking it in your honor Dad! I love you and I hope you had an amazing birthday! We also had a mini-mission day. We went up to Bushwick and picked up one of the young women in that ward and she came with us to teach that day. Her name was Amaly. She was really sweet and she is dominican. That day we went and did a street sweep. I hated it. Let me be honest right now. Talking to people on the bus or the train or the street is not my thing. I really don't enjoy it and I have no courage so it's difficult. I wish that I could be better and I'm going to try and be. But I just remember standing there behind the table (while all the other missionaries in our zone were out contacting) just crying. I just couldn't get the courage to open my mouth. When this is the thing that I came to do! I just hope that I will get better at it. I need to get more courage and more faith in Jesus Christ or else I won't be able to accomplish this work. I am too hard on myself but I don't know anything better to do. I'm trying to be the best that I can be because I don't want to be the one that doesn't learn something until their 5th month or something like that. I want to be the best at what I do. I need patience is what I need. So if anyone knows how to obtain it, or has any advice. Feel free to send it my way. I'm really trying to be better. We had a ward BBQ on Saturday too. It was fun I have pictures from it.

An update on our family. The family Cuaulte. They haven't been answering their phone and they didn't come to church on Sunday so we are hoping that they call us and that the next time we go over there they are there. We taught this woman named Brenda last night. Her daughter is a Recent Convert to the church who moved here from Ecuador. She wasn't really into us talking to her at first but Sister Gray says that she loves me and she thinks I'm great because I'm trying to speak spanish and I'm helping people come unto Christ. She made us dinner. Cerveche I don't know how to spell it but it's shrimp, onion, green pepper and all sorts of other good stuff. It was so good and a major blessing because we weren't going to eat that night if we hadn't gone over there and she hadn't fed us. It was awesome.

I can't remember much else that happened. But I am glad to be out here on my mission and serving the Lord. It is hard work, and I am really tired every day. But I know this is where I need to be. Keep me in your prayers! Okay?

If anyone wants to send anything you can send Carnation Breakfast Essentials- Chocolate or Vanilla - They are the greatest thing ever and I have it for breakfast every morning. Also if anyone wants to send me gift cards for subway or mcdonalds or dunkin' donuts. We go there if we go anywhere. Anyways.. you don't have to send anything but if anyone is thinking about sending stuff.. the Carnation Breakfast Essentials are what I like the best! :) 

Comments

Popular Posts