Skip to main content

Letter From Hermana DeLong June 25, 2012





Hello Friends and Family. It has been ages. AGES AND AGES since I have
spoken to you, at least it feels like it. Because I am dying here not
emailing you or recieving letters. The letter system here is a little
weird. Everything gets sent to the mission office then it's sent to
our apartments, because we move around so often. So that is where my
packages go too. So don't forget to send everything there...

Hermana Shelby DeLong
85-69 60th Drive
Elmhurst, Queens, NY 11373

So since I'm talking about my address and where to send things... here
is my Birthday List...
-SNACKS! I need snacks. I'm not going to have a lot of money left to
buy snacks or anything and they go really fast because we study for 4
hours each morning. I like dried fruit, trail mix, chips, crackers,
and anything else...
-LETTERS!
-Music. I can listen to any christmas music and some disney music. So
if you want to use my computer and burn the church CD's from it, like
Cameron Steele and Stephanie Smith... BLAIR--- GIVE ME ALL YOU HAVE!

Okay, that is my birthday list!

So, I'm in NEW YORK CITY!!! Holy Moly! It's crazy... I got here on
Monday afternoon and we went straight to the Mission Home and we ate
dinner and went to sleep early. It was awesome. We woke up the next
day and went out to the Mission Office in Rego Park, Queens. That's
where there was a transfer meeting with all the mission (which doesn't
usually happen). I got my companions! YES I just said COMPANIONS! I am
in a trio. My trainers (who are my companions because I'm new and need
to be trained) are Hermana ray and Hermana ahill. They are super
cool and I love them both! They are great. My first area is called
Midwood, it's a neighborhood in Brooklyn. So I'm in Brooklyn. It's
awesome. There are sooo many Jewish people here. I can't even tell you
how many there are. Every building around us is just filled with
Jewish people. It's just crazy because every little area has it's own
identity. Some of the Jewish people here wear these HUGE fur hats.
They are crazy big, and we don't know why. So if Uncle Gary is reading
this, could you tell me what they are? Because we are wondering! :D
It is so hot outside here. The humity is crazy. We were at dinner with
a family the Bonillas. They are awesome. Well, we were sitting there
at dinner and their daughter Jazmin started sticking stickers on us
and they wouldn't stick because we were all so sweaty. GROSS. I've
never been this hot before.Vegas heat is nothing compared to New York
heat.
I rode my first subway train! It was great. Our area is about 12
blocks south of where we live, so we have to take the bus or the train
out to our area, and everyone is so spread out so we have to plan our
day around travels.
We have a couple investigators. The first one is rlanda. rlanda is
cool. She is from Mexico I think and she knows that Book of Mormon is
true but she says to pray to God to know is offending God. Which isn't
true. She also thinks all of the churches are good so she doesn't see
why we are teaching her. We are trying to get her to feel the spirit
and see the truthfulness of the gospel. The second investigator we
have is arina. arina is 16 and she is really sweet. Her Aunt's are
LDS. I think that arina is going to get baptized. She is just so
awesome. (Sorry my words are all scattered there are people all around
me talking and music playing and I can't focus.) We taught this man
named scar yesterday and we committed him to baptisim! He has a
baptismal date for July 15th! We are so excited we just have to get
him to church at least 3 times before his baptisim! Another cool
person we are teaching is nez. nez is in the hospital right now
because she fell down and now she has to stay in bed for 6 weeks. She
is really sweet and she is excited to know more, I think. I think she
will take lessons from us when she gets out. She is in the Hospital in
Dyker Heights right now, and it's pretty far from where we are. It's
okay though, because we can contact people on the bus!
The first day I was in the feild I contacted someone. It was so scary
and I was so nervous, but it all worked out well. I just gave them a
card and told them about the Book of Mormon. It was AWESOME!
Well, two days ago I woke up and my back was hurting so bad. I think
it was just because I was stressing out so bad. But it really hurt. It
just felt like I was dying all day because I had this huge knot in my
back. It's better now, just a little sore. But I don't like back
problems. AT ALL.
I read this talk called His Grace is Sufficent. It is a great talk by
Bradely R. Wilcox. It talks about how we need to realize that Christ
already paid the debt so we could repent and return to live with God.
We aren't paying off a debt, we are showing appreciation for a debt
already paid. I love that. Because often times as members of this
church we feel like we have soo much to do and if we don't do it we
will have to work 10thousand times more. But the thing really is, we
have to just do our best to be like Christ and we will be rewarded.
That is what Grace is. It's not just being saved and not doing
anything. It's being saved and loving God and Christ enough to show
them you are grateful for what they have done.
We went to this Korean Bakery the other day called KaKa Bakery. It was
my first ever B resturant experience in NYC. (You know how resturants
are rated A to D, this resturant was a B!) It was good though. I had
this really good bread/roll thing filled with cream. It was good.
We were teaching a man the other day named rturo. rturo is a Less
Active member who we are trying to re-activate. He is a really nice
guy. While we were teaching him, I just felt this overwhelming feeling
of love for him. I know it was God telling me how much he loved him
and wanted him to come back to him. God is our Heavenly Father and he
loves us and wants us to return to be with him. We can know that
through prayer to God and through reading the scriptures.
Yesterday was my first sunday in the ward. Oh my goodness gracious! I
totally suck at spanish. I can't understand anyone and it's so hard. I
just had a small little melt-down because I can't figure out what they
are saying and I look so stupid. :( I know it's only been a week, but
it's hard.
After Church we had dinner with the alez family. We ATE SO MUCH FOOD.
I'm pretty sure it was like thanksgiving mexican style. We had
everything, rice, beans, horchta, lemonade, tostadas, enchiladas,
chicken and EVERYTHING. It was awesome and so good. I'm just glad it
wasn't soup, because it was hot. haha

Okay, well that's all I've got I'm going to try and upload pictures
now so you can see some of my MTC pictures and some of the pictures
from here. I love you all so much and I am so excited to be in NYC and
I want to hear from you all so PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE write me! I need
letters. :D I'm begging right now. Literally.

1. Hermana Williams and I passed out in front of the temple on a
Sunday temple walk.
2. This is our building
3. Me with my treat from the KaKa Bakery
4. Me walking down the streets of Park Slope today






Comments

Popular Posts