Things to remember....

Things I want to remember when I have kids....

- Breakfast and Books. I want to give my kids the gift of reading. The gift of escaping into mystery novels, and love stories. I want them to have adventures in Narnia, and especially The Book of Mormon. Something I would love to do is in the mornings with breakfast, let my kids bring a book to the table and read while they eat.

- Letting my kids make their own decisions. When times come that my children can decide for themselves to do something or not, I hope they choose the right. I however, want them to do it because they WANT to do it. I don't want to force my kids into doing the right, I want them to WANT it. I guess there are exceptions to this rule, but all in all I think that if I have a gospel-centered home, my children will understand the difference between good and bad.

- Family Home Evening, Scripture Study and Family Prayer - I didn't grow up with these things. I want my kids to have them. I want my kids to look forward to Family Home Evening and time with their scriptures. I understand it's not easy, but I want it to be essential.

- Treat my kids like people. Kids are people too. They have bad days, they get grumpy. I want to remember that, even though I am their parent, that they are spirit children of God, and they have struggles too.

- I don't want the TV to raise my children. This includes, video games, iPads and phones. I know I will use them from time to time to pacify them, and to help them learn things. But I don't want my kids to rely on electronics for happiness. When my kids grow up and they are teenagers, I want to have a rule of no phones or TV at dinner. (First I have to break myself of that habit. I can't eat dinner without watching TV.) I want to TALK to my kids, and learn who they are.

My number one goal in life is to become like Christ. My number two goal in life is to get married in the temple. My number three goal in life is to have children (born in the covenant) and be a MOTHER to them.

I think those are pretty good life-goals.

Comments

Popular Posts