Two Brothers and Things I Need to Remember

I wanted to write about something before I forgot about it. So here it is...

Tonight I was watching BYU-TV, and on it there was this show called Two Brothers in 5,000 Days or something like that. It is a show about two brothers, and their journey through life together and separate. It starts out when they are little and goes through until they are on their missions.

Anyways, in the video there is footage of the older brother while he was on his mission in Chile. It was so amazing to see. He talked about everything that happened to him during the mission, the people he met and the miracles he saw. Before he went on his mission he was depressed, and felt like nothing he did would make life good. He found his happiness through prayer, and through serving the Lord. Still, he was a very sensitive person and he thought that his sensitivity was a weakness. So when he went on his mission he had trouble with that. With attaching himself to people, and getting horrible reactions from people. Some things he said really struck a cord in me and I want to remember them.

When you teach people about the gospel, and when you talk to people, pretend as though they are your family. This person is someone's Aunt or Uncle, Grandma or Grandpa, Brother or Sister. If they were your family member, how would you treat them? Treat them in that way. You need to learn to love everyone and to be honest with them about what you are feeling.

It doesn't matter if you lose everything you have. You can lose your house, your car, have no possessions and live in poverty. But if you have the gospel of Jesus Christ, you have everything.

Be thankful for what you have. Realize also that others in worse situations have more faith than you, and put that faith into action daily. Learn from these people, and open your heart to God.

There are people on your mission who are just for you. Who are put there at that time, for you to meet them. People who need to hear from you, who need to rebuke you, who need to compliment you. There are so many different reasons for all of them, but their purpose is great and you will gain knowledge from them.

All that being said, I just want to say... a mission for me, is so scary. I'm so scared. But I know the Lord will take care of me and my family. I know that if I do MY PART, and leave the rest to him, he will provide for me. It scares me, the possibility of going somewhere that is so harsh and so foreign. The thing is though, that it's not about the PLACE it's about the PEOPLE, and if I want to serve a mission, I need to learn to love everyone I come in contact with. Because on a mission, you aren't out sight-seeing or visiting luxury hotels. You are working. The Law of Life is to Work. When we think we have done all we can do, we need to do more. It's tiring, it's hard, and it's overwhelming. But the outcome of hard-work is always and I mean ALWAYS happiness.

Comments

Popular Posts