Patience & Love

I thought about something the other night while watching my handsome little nephew Carter. I thought to myself, even before he came over, I need to be more patient. I need to give all of my effort and love to something, or someone. My number one goal in life is to be a good mother, and without doing those things, I can't accomplish that. So while I have these opportunities to babysit and watch my sisters children, I test my methods. The whole night was about him. I wanted him to have fun, and to talk to me about whatever he wanted to talk about. He is three going on four, so there was definetly a lot to say.

As we walked through the neighborhood to the park, he chatted on and on. He talk about; being Superman for Halloween, walking slow verses walking fast, why do we have to walk on the right side of the street(?), and much more. He asked me questions, and I tried my hardest to answer them so he would understand. He lost his patience and wanted to play a different game every three minutes, and tried to focus him in on the rules of the games, and see if he could understand better. Not once the whole night did I yell, STOP or BECAUSE I SAID SO. I tried my hardest, (it was very difficult) to explain everything and to have patience.

At one point he wanted to stay by the stop sign on the street corner, because he was the "stop sign guy". It was time to be going home, and he was persistent. "I am the stop sign guy and I am going to stay here until my Mom picks me up!" End of story. I took him buy his hand and hauled him across the street. We stopped on the other side of the street and just stood there for a minute. "Let go." he said, shaking his hand from mine. I bent down to his eye level and explained to him that it was time to go. He tried to explain his reasoning, but finally gave in and moved on to another topic.

I guess that little story isn't very significant. But it's something I remember from trying to be patient. I know for sure I will not always have that type of patience and immediate kindness when it comes to kids. Often times I feel like I'm a kid too. For instance, when little kids tell you the truth about how you are treating them, and in the meanest way. Because they don't know any better. I get so upset when that happens, because I take it personal. An insult, or a mistake you are making uncovered by a child, is just so much more heart-wrenching. I know that the other night was a test of faith and endurance, and it helped me realize how I want to be with my kids. I love spending time with my nephews and I know that through those times, I can learn to be better.

The other day I was listening to a talk by Elder Jeffery R. Holland he said this, "How do you react to the nine year old, who has just tromped in again with muddy feet?! Don't stutter, how are you going to react? I know you've told him, I know you've told him a thousand times. Yes, and I know the visiting teachers are coming, further more, I know you've had a bad day and I know the dishwasher broke, and I know you've given this boy the best years of your life, and I know that the price of hamburger is outrageous! But I'm talking about a little boy with muddy feet... a child of God. I'm really not saying that muddy shoes... is acceptable or necessary or desirable... what I am saying is this, that no power of influence in your home... ought to be maintained by anything other then by persuasion, long-suffering, and gentleness and meekness and love unfeigned." The whole time I was listening to it, I had tears in my eyes. It's just so easy to become short and corse with people. Not even necessarily children. With your co-workers, and family and friends. We can become so impatient, so intolerant, so harsh... then that the opportunity to show love is forgotten.

Something to think about, something I need to work on for sure.

Comments

Popular Posts