Feminine

Ask anyone who knows me. I'm not one to dress cute. I'm pretty sure this comes from my father, not that he never dresses handsome, or is presentable. He is... but he basically wears jeans and a t-shirt or jeans and button up shirt EVERY-DAY. Why switch up something that works? But really. A while ago I tried the 30 in 30 challenge where I tried to use 30 articles of clothes for 30 days and mix-and-match different outfits. It ended on day 13. It drove me NUTS. I hate dressing up. I hate getting dressed. Okay, let me rephrase that. "I hate the process of getting dressed and putting outfits together."

Today I was listening to an old conference talk on my way to work. It was talking about women and their roles in a marriage, but something that the general authority that was talking about stood out to me. (I'm not sure who it was.) He said something along the line of, "Women, be feminine. Appear feminine. This quality is is something that will help draw you closer to/or help you meet, your eternal companion." I frowned. I looked down at my t-shirt and jeans, and thought about my hair in a greasy pony-tail. Then my Mom's voice flashed through my head, "Shelby you look horrible, you need to actually get ready." Ah crap. Advice that has been given to me forever has just sunk into my brain! How could this be?

This is not to say that I never do get ready, or dress up or anything. Because on occasion I take the time and I make myself look pretty. Because well, I feel like it. What the challenge is though, is to do it even when I don't "feel like it" so that I will feel more feminine, and be more of a lady. If you were to look at my pinterest page of "My Style" you would assume I dress like that, well, you're assuming wrong. I am always in black pants and a t-shirt, or grey pants and a t-shirt, or *gasp* a black skirt and t-shirt. I need to be more presentable and be more feminine. I need to try harder to showcase the fact that I am a daughter of God and I have amazing feminine qualities.

This isn't just about the outward appearance either, it's about grasping my feminine characteristics, and holding onto them. Qualities like patience, kindness, being more soft-spoken, and nurturing others. I'm going to go home and change, because now I feel like a rag-doll... and tomorrow will be a new day! I'm so excited! It's going to be difficult, but I'm going to really try and be better and be more in touch with my feminine side.

Comments

  1. Shelby,
    You are a beautiful young lady. There is nothing wrong with being comfortable in jeans and a t-shirt. When you go out, then you dress up. If I didn't have a g.f. I'd ask you out! Keep being your cute self.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are cute. I think jeans and a t-shirt is a good look. If you want to take it to the next level do your hair I swear by it. I don't like dressing up either but if you do your hair and put make up on I think I look 10 times better.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts