Testimony

I thought to myself while sitting at the Relief Society broadcast this evening, this is definitely one of those days you should blog about. I haven't had that feeling in quite some time. So, here I am telling you about my day.

I woke up early, for a Sunday, and immediately wished that I could have slept longer. It was Fast Sunday today, and I'm really horrible at fasting. (Not eating for two consecutive meals, while praying and thinking about certain things you need answers to, or help with.) So, I woke up with a hungry belly. YACK. I hate that feeling. So, I decided to be productive and paint my nails. I know AMAZING STUFF!! You're probably wondering why I thought I needed to blog about today. Moving forward to church...

Fast Sunday means Testimony meeting. For the past, almost two years I have ALWAYS born my testimony on Fast Sunday. Every chance I get to bear my testimony I always do. Since this was the second Fast Sunday we had this month, I figured I would sit this one out. I mean, I teach Sunday School and will be able to say something there, so I don't really need to get up again. The spirit was hounding me the entire meeting, but I denied it's call. (Which isn't a good thing to do, but nevertheless...) I suppressed my feelings until I reached Relief Society. At the end of the lesson they gave us an enormous 20 minutes to bear testimony. I couldn't resist. I walked to the front of the class laughing, and just thinking, this is nuts! If other people wanted to bear their testimonies, I have just swiped 5 minutes of their time! I always do this, and people are going to think I'm doing it for the attention. (Which is incredibly false. But people do notice! Because I had more than one person come up to me today, and ask why I didn't get up during sacrament meeting. "You always get up, I was waiting to hear from you!" is what they told me. I guess people really do notice!)

You see, almost two years ago I moved to Provo, Utah. The first Sunday we went to church was a Fast Sunday. The line to speak for your testimony was so long, and there were 5 people at a time waiting on the stand for their turn. I didn't go up, but our Bishop did. At the end of the meeting he concluded with a challenge. For each and every one of us to bear our testimony every chance we are given for the entire year. I took his challenge. I over-took his challenge. I created a challenge for myself that is beyond all measure. I decided that at every opportunity that there is to bear testimony of the truthfulness of the gospel I would do so. And since that Sunday, I have. God never lets me get by without it. Never.

I might be a little crazy, and might seem overwhelming at times. Some Sunday's, I feel like I'm not worthy to bear a solid testimony of the Savior, but I do anyways. Because I feel his love for me, even in my mistakes and my misgivings. I heard the other day that every Sunday is a testimony meeting. When we partake of the bread and water, we are bearing testimony of the truth of the atonement. We are saying, "I know this church is true and by taking this bread and water, I know I can be forgiven of my sins." What an absolute truth! What an unwavering yet simple belief!

I can't not tell people about the truth that I have found. I know it of myself, independent of any other person. I know it because God has given me the feeling of peace and comfort when I hear the gospel, or read it. It is amazing! I am a Daughter of God! He knows me, he loves me, he has a PLAN for me. I make and strive to keep covenants with him because those promises I make, keep me safe and close to him. Without them, I would be lost and so sorrowful. Christ died for my sins and my sorrows. He bled from every pore in the Garden at Gethsemene, he died on the cross ALONE, and was resurrected three days later, glorified by the Father. Joseph Smith is a true Prophet, through Christ he restored the church. Thomas S. Monson, his counselors, and all the other Apostles and authorities of the church today, lead and guide us. Their words are FOR US FROM GOD! How amazing is that? How comforting is that?! It's so good. So very, very good.

Comments

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this Shelby. It was needed so very much.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts