Who I've Always Been

Recently, I learned something about myself. It was Monday night, and like any Monday night I was at the bowling alley. I was talking with a friend whom I hadn't seen in quite some time and he was drilling me with the usual questions. Where do you work? Are you going to school? Will you be serving a mission? And the like. In talking to him, I found a newfound confidence in what I was doing with life. No, I may not be working at my dream job (I hate it). No, I am not going to school, but would gladly go to school to major in religion, however my GPA is a sickly 1.6 now. Would I be serving a mission? I already am.

I love books on tape, love. Especially books by Sheri Dew. I could listen to her all day. Last night as I was driving home I was listening to a chapter that made me actually tear up. I was softly crying and forcing myself to think about my heavenly home. I miss it. That's not to say that I remember anything about it, but I do know the feeling of it. Sister Dew talked about finding out who we have always been. Isn't it nice to know that we had personality before this, we were set here in this time and place for a reason, and we knew why? Isn't that nice to know?

I started to go over in my head all the times people asked me who I wanted to be. My answer has changed a million times, because have never been sure. But last night I really thought about it. Something else Sister Dew spoke about from her book was that we are to leave things better then what we found them. Now if that isn't a fantastic job I don't know what is. Despite growing hardships, tragedy, and constant negativity, we are tasked with the job to leave things better then what we found them. No matter where we go, what we do, we are supposed to shine forth an example of faith, love and charity.

That is my job. It has to be. What else is there for me to do? Then to "mourn with those that mourn, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort." Who am I but my brother's keeper? I love you. I really do, and the way I have been living is nothing short of selfish. I think a change of ways is in order.

Comments

Popular Posts