Confidence Builder


Macon: When I ask you to go out with me this Friday night you're gonna think you're the one asking me because you're gonna say 'yes Macon, I would love to go out with you because I know we'll have a totally great time together. In fact, I'd been hoping you'd ask me all week.' 
Halley: You wanna go out on a date with me? 
Macon: See, I told you you'd ask me. 


How to Deal, circa 2003. Probably one of the best movies ever. I love it. It is so "teenager", if I could use that a describing word. (Which I just did) Holy epic! This movie is awesome. But, it is not the basis of this post, just go watch it. Okay? Okay.

The other day, in a quiet conversation with my best friend, he told me something I can't get out of my mind. A few weeks ago, I was complaining on twitter about guys. I started kind-of-sort-of dating a guy, then all of a sudden all my guy friends come out of the woodwork, "I wanted to take you on a date." "Are you dating him?" and so forth. My complaint was, where the crap where YOU for the past six months? Are you kidding me? As soon as I find someone I like, and I start to hang out with them more often, ya'll finally notice me. Is this real life? Well the answer to this question came in a quick sentence. 

"The reason all those guys are talking to you now, is because now you have more confidence. Keep that confidence."

Duh. Right? I mean, why didn't I think of that? Maybe because I was considering every single thing, and thinking too much. As soon as he said that, I thought back to who I was before. I was very closed in, and my self esteem was lower than low. Now, I had the prospect of a guy liking me, and showing me that, I didn't have to worry about those other guys, just one. My worries were lessened, my confidence rose, and I didn't have a care in the world. That's the thing about having a crush that is reciprocated, for that moment you feel like you are worth it. Like, "Hey man. I've got someone who is interested, and I am worth the interest." On a normal day, you couldn't even find that kind of confidence in me.

That's not to say, that I don't like myself. I love myself. I love who I am, and the crazy things I say. I'm not normal, I'm not perfect, and I know I need to work on things. It's just me saying that, there is something in the genuine interest of a guy you like that makes you forget your, "what if's" and work it. Let's be real here ladies... you've got to work it.

In the end, it's all about finding your personal worth and running with it. I tend to talk myself down to guys, (I think it seems like I'm fishing for compliments, but that's not the case.) because I'm not a beauty queen or an amazingly talented woman, at least not in my own eyes. So when the guy you like starts to tell you things you aren't sure you believe about yourself; you're beautiful, you're funny, you're amazing! Just give in and say thank you. Please? Be humble about it, but understand that his point of view is VERY different from yours, and you shouldn't get in the way of it. I only say this because I know from experience that disagreeing is stupid.

Just... be confident. Be the leading lady in your life. Don't let anyone else take center stage. You're the star, you're the woman/man of the hour. Just make it happen.

Comments

Popular Posts