My Dreams

I've got no idea why I am up blogging right now, I should most definitely be asleep, since I am sicker than a dog. I loath being sick, but because my nephew got me sick I need to remember my undying love for him, especially when I am hacking up my lung. Anyways...

Today I ditched school. Oops. Instead of going to school, I "rested" meaning, I got caught up on some of my TV shows, Modern Family and Parenthood to be exact. If you have yet to watch the show Parenthood, stop what you are doing and get on Hulu and watch it. It is the greatest thing ever. I love shows and movies that make me cry, I'm weird like that, and this show does that. It is so heart-wrenching and beautiful, I love it.


parenthood-review.jpg


In the season finale, (this is a spoiler so if you want to watch them, don't read it) Amber, the rebellious daughter, takes off with a pothead creeper (that cute guy from GREEK) and gets in a car accident. The whole thing is super traumatic because Amber doesn't get it, even after she almost DIES she doesn't realize how her choices effect her family. Her Mom (Sara) has been trying EVERYTHING to get her to realize it, but it hasn't worked. So after the accident, her Grandpa (Zeek) takes her to a junkyard. They walk up to the car that she was in, (which is totally demolished) and the following goes down.

[[Standing in front of the car]]
Zeek: Amber, you know, I was two years in Vietnam. Do you know what I thought about, dreamt about? Was coming home, and having kids, grandkids. I dreamt you, Amber and Hatti, and Drew, and Sydney and Jabar and Max. And we almost lost you Amber, I know you had some bad breaks, not feeling good about yourself. You didn't get into Berkley... Well BOO FRIGGIN-HOO. You gotta suck it up girl, you're a Braverman. You've got my blood in your veins. If you ever think about doing something like this again, if you ever think about doing something like this, I will personally kick your little butt all the way from here to the Golden Gate Bridge. You do not have my permission to mess with my dreams! Are we clear?

The last part is my most favorite line. You do not have my permission to mess with my dreams. Oh, this could be taken so many different ways.

The way I think about it is, that, people sometimes think that they rule you. They like to believe that what they say goes, all the time, and that nothing you say matters. Well guess what, they don't have the permission to do that in your life, unless you give it to them. We all have dreams and hopes, and wishes. Those things cannot and should not be destroyed by anyone. We build them, we craft them quietly with our minds, they are ours to keep, and make real. I dislike it so much when people say, "you can't do that" or  "I'm not okay with that." Who asked your permission? It's MY life and I'm going to live it the way I want to.

This might seem selfish. Because it is. Just a little. I think we all deserve to think about ourselves, for us, more often. Don't get stuck with what other's see you as, you are your own person, and that is just fine.

Comments

Popular Posts