Dean Karnazes Is The MAN.

I'm reading the book 50/50: Secrets I Learned Running 50 Marathons in 50 Days - and How You Too Can Achieve Super Edurance! It's the best book I have read in a really long time. Not only is it well written, it is about my newest love, running. It follows the ups and downs, and sure advice, of Dean Karnazes, who ran 50 Marathons in 50 Days in all 50 states in the U.S. Basically this guy is superman.

I wanted to copy some stuff I've been reading from the book onto my blog. It's so good, I can't help but share.

"Prolonged strenuous exercise and overexertion can lower your body's natural immunity to bugs. Here are some ways to fortify your immune system. : (In short) Mushrooms, Echinacea, Garlic, and Probiotics."

"Adventure happens the moment you step out the front door. Step outside. Be active. Get back to nature. Explore wild places."

"Running is not fun. It's too hard to be fun. Even the most devoted runners would not describe the experience of race - as fun... I'm not saying that running doesn't feel good. It does feel good, in the way that any form of hard work feels good to those who have a taste for it."

"Challenging and testing your mind and body, even to the point of exhaustion, failure, and breakdown, can feel as wonderful as anything else life has to offer. I suppose the enjoyment of hard work is more of an acquired taste than the taste for pleasure and fun, but once you've acquired it, you're blessed with more ways to feel good, and life is better. Harder AND better."

I couldn't agree with these things more. It is so hard for me to describe to people the reasons behind running. There is such an overwhelming hate for running in this world, it's shocking. (I guess only really shocking to those who understand how good it really is.) Running can cure depression, heartache, obesity, and the ever common ill of laziness. I know this, because I've seen it in my life and through others lives as well. Of course running isn't the only thing that is good. Do what makes you work hard, feel better, and become better. All I'm saying is that there is a great strength to be found in running, and though I have too many imperfections to count, I feel like running makes me a better person.

In all honesty, I feel like there is a storm brewing in my life right now. Like something huge, and all encompassing is going to happen soon. It's really scary, but what helps me through the uneasiness is the steady feeling of feet to the pavement running. Solid, consistent, and true.

Comments

Popular Posts