5 Things For Yourself

For a moment I want you to stop everything you are doing besides reading this post. I want you to grab yourself a pen and paper, or maybe your phone or blackberry, or something you use to keep your thoughts in line. I want you to stop multi-tasking, and take a mini-vacation at this point in your day. This vacation will consist mainly of thoughts, thoughts that are YOURS and YOURS ONLY. I want you to be thinking only of yourself, and your own soul.

Here is the deal, I want you to write down 5 things that you want to do for yourself. You only. It could be, just today, this week, this month, this year, or in your entire lifetime. Whatever it might be, I want you to take it seriously. I know that often times we forget to think about what makes us tick. What makes you move and dream, and love? What makes you happy? Does it involve other people? Does it mean you need to be completely alone? Whatever it is... I want you to write it down. FIVE things that you want for yourself, simple, difficult, outrageous. LIST THESE THINGS.

The kicker is... I want you to DO THESE THINGS. I want you to really try as hard as you possibly can to make these things happen. Just to give you an idea. Here is my list;

5 THINGS FOR SHELBY

1. Go on more walks. -- This isn't for exercise, just so you know. I used to go on walks all the time when I lived on my own. I would just venture out by myself and walk a mile or two. Looking at houses, trying not to step on the cracks, and even talking to myself out loud. I haven't done this in a very long time, I think it is really healthy for me, and so I will do it more often.

2. Try to be better at singing. -- I love to sing. I don't think I've ever told anyone that, but I love it. I don't think I'm the best singer, but I know that I can sing, somewhat. So I want to try and get better at it so I can sing in front of a crowd. I will start with my favorite hymn, Jesus, Savior Pilot Me.

3. Work harder at getting dressed and wearing makeup. -- 90% of the time I don't wear any makeup and I don't condone wearing lots of makeup. I really don't want people to look at me when I'm not wearing makeup and have them say, "WHOA SHE IS SICK NAST WITHOUT MAKEUP." However, I've noticed that if I take care of myself better, and wear a little make-up and take time to create an outfit, I have a better day.

4. Cook a meal for my family once a month. -- I want to do this, so I can get better at cooking. Plus, it would be a great excuse to get my entire family together for dinner once a month. Food is probably my most favorite thing, and baking is one of my stress relievers, but... the cookies are going to my muffin top, so I need to slow down with that.

5. Create something. -- I'm not a crafty lady, but I love making simple crafts with kids. The other day when I was babysitting my nephew Carter, we made party hats. They were fun, and easy. This is something that I think will help me to learn patience.



Now tell me, if you want to (don't feel pressured), what are your 5 things?

4- Today I am thankful for Prayer and communication with God. This quote made me cry and humbled me quite a bit this morning.

Comments

  1. Hm.

    I may have to think about this more and adjust later but off the top of my head mine is:

    Write a book (WHAT?! I know. But still, I can dream).

    Be kinder.

    Don't talk smack.

    Dedicate myself to work and learn to love it.

    Blog more often.

    (I totally loved your walk idea. I miss things like that, and biking, and rollerblading. Do you remember the days we used to think our parents were crazy because they never did those things? And we thought we'd ALWAYS do them? I miss them.)

    (Annnd I want to hear you sing! I'm jealous!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok I LOVE to sing too. I am just TERRIBLE AT IT.

    once, while at BYU I took a group vocal class....the teacher gave me a B for my efforts, and told me I should think about taking the class again.

    I died a little that day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this list. Doing things for yourself is so important. I, too, love to sing! I'm not sure I'm very good but the thing I miss most about high school is chorus. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts