'Twas The Night Before Christmas : Shelby Edition

'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through Shelby's house

You could hear the dogs snoring, much less quiet than a mouse;
There were no stockings hung by the chimney with care,
But some hope still lingered that St. Nicholas soon would be there;
The pups, like I said, were nestled all snug on my bed,
While visions of doggie bones danced in their heads;
My mamma in her pajamas, and my dad in his too,
Had just closed their eyelids for a long winter's snooze,
When by the pool there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.
Away to the window I flew like a flash,
Pulled shut the blinds and peeked through the cracks.
The moon on the breast of the water in the pool.
Reflected it's light, oh how it glowed!
When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But a minuter sleigh, and a nine tiny reindeer,
With a little old driver, so lively and quick,
I knew in a moment it must be St. Nick.
More rapid than eagles his coursers they came,
And he whistled, and shouted, and called them by name;
"Now, Dasher! now, Dancer! now, Prancer and Vixen!
On, Comet! on Cupid! on, Donder on Blitzen, and RUDOLPH!
To the side of the pool, don't hit the wall!
Now dash away! dash away! dash away all!"
As poor little cows standing in a field before the wild hurricane fly,
When they meet with an obstacle, crash to the top of the sky,
So between the pool and the firepit they flew,
With the sleigh full of toys, and St. Nicholas too!
And then, in a twinkling, I saw on the grass,
Them prancing and pawing and having a blast.
As I drew back my head, and turned around,
Through the back door St. Nicholas came with a bound.
He was dressed all in fur, from his head to his feet,
And his clothes were all tarnished with grass stains and palm tree leaves;
A bundle of toys he had flung on his back,
And he looked like a peddler just opening his pack.
His eyes -- how they twinkled! his dimples how merry!
His cheeks were like roses, his nose like a cherry!
His droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow,
And the beard of his chin was as white as the snow;
The stump of a pipe he held tight in his teeth,
And the smoke it encircled his head like a wreath;
He had a broad face and a little round belly,
That shook, when he laughed like a bowlful of jelly.
He was chubby and plump, a right jolly old elf,
And I laughed when I saw him, in spite of myself;
A wink of his eye and a twist of his head,
Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread;
He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work,
And put some sweet presents under the tree; then turned with a jerk,
And walking on tip toe he walked to the back door
and shut it close;
He sprang to his sleigh, to his team gave a whistle,
And away they all flew like the down of a thistle.
But I heard him exclaim, ere he drove out of sight,
"Trim your dang palm trees, your chimney is too small, oh.. and Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good-night."

Comments

Popular Posts