What Is Love? - Writing, A Passion

“I’m not an expert by all means, but there is a ton I could say about it. I could tell you how it opens your soul, and bleeds your heart. How it makes you feel heavy but completely weightless at the same time. I could mention in words how deep and encompassing it is, explaining in detail the feeling and the losses thereof. We could talk for hours about the trust it takes, the faith that endures.. I could go on and on about it. The fact is, it is endless, heartbreaking, and totally confusing, all at the same time. What more do you want me to say?”
“I’m not quite sure as to what I want you to say, but I can tell you that what you have said has confused me even further.”
She looked into the distance like there was a profound meaning far ahead. Her head moved to the side and her body followed in motion right after. She sat with her knees to her chest and her feet on the couch staring out the open window behind it. The breeze tousled her long brown hair over her right shoulder.
“Did I offend you in some way?” asked Netti, who had been questioning Amelia about love all day. Wondering what it was, why hadn’t she felt it, who would ever love her? The pity- party was too much for Amelia and she broke from trying to save her friend into letting her know how it was, the truth, as far as she knew it. There wasn’t much else she could say. Amelia had never been in love, not in the way Netti wanted. The large house with a side garden, kids, and a mini van. Amelia was just not there yet, she felt it would be wrong to tell Netti that happily ever afters do exists, when she had never felt the eternal blossom grow in her heart.
“No, Netti. You haven’t offended me. I just don’t want to give you the wrong impression on love. I’m not sure that I have felt the love that you are searching for. The kind that lasts forever. I mean, excluding my relationship with God, love is just a longing.” She bent her head down to kiss her knee, and then faced Netti again. “It takes time Netti.”
“How much time? How long will I be waiting?” she paused with her eyes full of tears, “Forever? A day? A year? Come on Amelia, someone has got to have the answers!”
“No one does Netti! No one does!” screamed Amelia as she stood up from the couch and came within inches of Netti’s face. “ NO- ONE- DOES, it is all a game of chance. Stop looking for it, stop trying so hard to figure it out and it will come to you!!”
“Why hasn’t it come to you then?” 
This was a stab in the heart for Amelia. She wobbled back a couple of steps and leaned against the door next to the couch, her hand placed firmly on the knob. “ I don’t know.” she said softly, her heart hurt, Netti was all kinds of right. Amelia twist the knob and pulled the door open behind her. “I have no idea.” she whispered once more, before she walked out of the door. 

Just a piece of writing I wrote for you on your beautiful Saturday.

Comments

  1. Shelby, I freaking love your writing. No lies girl.

    I am thinking this should be your route...I could totally see you being an author. Love it.

    I love you! Just in case you did not know!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts