Finding Hope: Strength- Emma Smith

There are days when I feel so frustrated I could just cry. Today wasn't one of those days. I stopped procrastinating and just got stuff done. I did what I needed to do, and didn't worry about anyone else. I worked, I ran errands, I made phone calls, I paid bills. Then... when all was said and done, I went out and enjoyed my friendships.

Little boats that I can hop on at almost anytime, and sail away for hours.

I talked to my family. I heard my baby boy's voice. My little Carter, what a cute, handsome little thing. I miss him every day.

Sometimes I feel like the world is slipping away from me. Today was one of those days. The world was spinning so fast, that I could barely keep up. But, keep up I did. I tried my hardest to forget about the things that were going wrong, and focus my energy on making things right. It helped me to see life for what it is, endless.

On Sunday, I watched a movie about Emma Smith. For those of you who are familiar with the LDS faith, Emma is Joseph Smith's wife. Joseph was the first prophet of our church in the latter days. He restored the gospel to it's fullness by the power of God. Emma, Joseph's wife went through a great deal of hardships. She lost many of her children, within moments and months of their birth. She was left alone to care for the children she did have, as Joseph struggled to stay alive in the battlefield that was his life. Joseph fought for what was right, and listened to the Lord. Emma, did the same. The Lord called Emma, and Elect Lady, Chosen of God. Indeed she was, elect.

In the movie this quote moved me to tears. After Emma had lost her third child she stood outside in the field. Joseph stood talking to his mother about what he should do. He said, "Emma is a strong woman, Mother." and his mother replied with these solemn, but true words, "Sometimes being strong can be a very lonely thing." Tears rolled down my face as I realized my strength was nothing compared to her's, but what are our strengths compared to others? None of us are the same, we do not share the same exact trails, or carry the same burdens. It just does not work that way.

I admire Emma Smith, for her courage, and devotion. She had such wisdom in her, I could only hope to obtain that kind of thought.

Love is never lost. Hope is never lost.


Have strength in your life. Though the path might seem lonely, Heavenly Father is there. Trust in him.

Comments

  1. Beautifully written, Shelby. I love Emma and all her grace. She really was an elect lady. I can't imagine what she had to go through as a wife and mother. It's good to remember her when we think our life is rough.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts