Lent

This evening, I was purusing the internets and came across my friend's blog that I used to be so enveloped in reading ALL THE TIME, and I don't know why I had a falling out with it. Either way I read it more intensely now, and it is fantastic! It's HERE if you want to take a look. Anyways, on her twitter she mentioned how she wasn't sure what she was giving up for lent this year. It made me think how I always have wanted to participate in lent but never have. So I decided to participate this year.

Do you know what lent is?

How to observe lent:
  1. Decorate your church and/or home in purple, symbolizing both suffering and death, but also royalty and thus hope for the resurrection.

    Spend the Lent season in prayer, reflection and repentance. Lent is a time for soul-searching, facing great challenges and overcoming mistakes.

    Follow the tradition of Lent by fasting, done in honor of Christ's own 40-day fast in the desert. You can do this in whatever way seems appropriate to you - its intensity has varied from total abstinence to refraining from eating meat. Note that some churches focus less on fasting and encourage charitable deeds. For example, visit elderly people, baby-sit for young mothers or visit prisoners.


    Give up something you love for the 40-day period, symbolizing the Lenten season's return to simplicity and purity. It doesn't matter what you give up - cigarettes, chocolate, television, surfing the Internet - as long as the meaning of its absence holds significant value to you.


    Banish the gloom of winter and make room for Easter and the new life of spring. While this season might be tinged with solemnity, it should also be a time of looking forward to renewal and triumph.


    So, I am observing lent by doing a little spring cleaning in my mind and in my life. I am going to also not be spending money on anything besides things I NEED and things I have got to have to survive. Which means no shopping! Understand? I am going to be more frugal and spend less money. It is going to be a great 40 days! I can just feel it. Now, all I need to know, is who is with me? It starts this Wednesday, the 17th of February and ends on Easter. Tuesday is known as Fat Tuesday, because that is when people eat a ton of junk and sin a lot, before lent starts. HA or at least that's what google tells me!

Comments

  1. Haha have fun with this one kid. I gave up shopping for lent once and it was a very long but gratifying 40 days. Thanks for the reminder-I've got to think of something to give up this year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I lived in Chicago, it was easy to remember Lent, because all the fast food restaurants started advertising their Fish Sandwiches. That was the best way for me to remember it was time... now that I'm in Utah, it's not as easy.

    I have tons of extended family members that are Catholic and I have always wanted to participate in Lent (my husband's family). I am so glad I stumbled across your blog so you could remind me about it! I am totally going to participate. Now, to figure out what I'm going to give up.

    Thanks Shelby Lou!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, what a good choice! Good luck, and I'm sure you're gonna feel GREAT after Lent's over! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Each year I struggle with what to give up for lent. Not because I want to take the easy route...but because I like to give up things that are bad for me. One year I gave up vending machines. Seems silly...but it saved me loads of $$ and a crazy amount of calories. :) to this day I can count on one hand how many times I've visited one since. I enjoy lent season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still unsure what I want to give up.. I use to give up chocolate or soda. Now I don't really drink soda anyway.

    Good luck with your goal, I'm sure you'll do great!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts