Perfect Day

Today was Sunday, of course you already knew that. I went to a new ward, with new people, and new lessons to learn. First, I wanted to tell you about the challenge our Bishop gave us at the end of sacrament meeting. He asked us to raise our hands if we had set a new goal for the New Year, of course most everyone rose their hand. Then he went on to ask us if we used text messaging. Weird. I thought, why would he ask that? Then he told us what he wanted us to do. He wanted us to wake up tomorrow morning and open our day with a prayer. He wanted us to do everything as best we could, not view things that are bad, be nice to people, and give service. Basically, he challenged us to have a "Perfect Day", then at the end of the day he wants us to text him, and his two counselors and say, "Had a Perfect Day, Shelby" (or enter your name here). I immediately decided, I LOVE THIS WARD! That is such a fantastic idea and, tomorrow I will try very hard to have a perfect day.

--If you want to join me in your own view of a "Perfect Day" you can, just email me at the end of the day tomorrow and tell me you had a "Perfect Day" shelbyloudelong(at)gmail(dot)com--

Second, Relief Society was grand. We had a lesson on loving ourselves, and letting the light of Christ shine through us to everyone around us. We had a huge discussion about how people are so focused on this physical image of how we need to be perfect like a super model and wear make-up and look gorgeous, all-the-time. There were a few girls who gave up their opinions on plastic surgery and the way it has ruined some women. Others said it wasn't that big of a deal if it was for yourself, but to not go overboard. I personally believe it isn't bad if you are doing it for yourself, and not to please others. As I sat there I thought about how I had cut my hair to make myself love me, as me. I decided that I had done something right. In the midst of all the wrong and the crazy decisions I make daily, I made a good decision. Every day I wake up and look at myself and think, you are amazing the way you are. Recently though I have had little thoughts and slight nudges in my mind about other girls. They wear all this make up, and it makes them feel beautiful. (I'm not knocking on them, what you need to do to make yourself feel beautiful is what you need to do) I look at them and I think, maybe I should go buy that kind of make-up, or wear my eyeshadow that way. Maybe I should try looking more like these Utah girls with their boots and bohemian skirts.

I stopped myself and looked back on those thoughts from the past week during relief society today. I told myself, Stop. You need to stop trying to look cool, or wear make-up to get friends. You need to stop focusing on your outward appearance and focus on what is inside. That is what the lesson was about. We need to focus on our souls, on our spirits. We need to feel beautiful on the outside, but we need to feel out-of-this-world on the inside, because we ARE truly "out-of-this-world" we are daughters of God (and sons). We are royalty, we deserve the best, but not in a spoiled rotten way. Part of the song that the teacher played for us during relief society was this..

"I know how to shine, my life's not really mine."

Truly, my life is not really mine, it is a gift from God and I am so, very grateful for it. We were asked to stand up and introduce ourselves today in Relief Society, I went last and when I stood up I said "I'm not sure how to introduce myself..." "I'm just Shelby." It's true, I am just Shelby and that is the only real way I can explain who I am. Who I am is so much more than just a list of neat facts, or awkward moments, it's so much more. All the girls were so nice and they asked me a couple of questions, they introduced themselves to me, and I will try really hard to remember names, but I am so bad with that. Bottom line is, I love those girls already and it has only been one Sunday. Well, I hope you all had a fantastic Sunday and that you are happy, and living the life you want to live, the best way you know how! Have fun, and be yourself, everyone else is taken!

Comments

  1. Ooh, I like this post. I also like our email discussion. Religion is such a WONDERFUL topic to discuss- and I'm glad we talk about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You write in such a wonderful way that really conveys what you're feeling and allows me to feel it too. I love it.

    I think I shall do my best tomorrow and will email you at the end of the day (hopefully!) I'm glad you shared that lesson.

    I second Allison, our religion discussion emails are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shelby, you are adorable and a half! i love your short hair, it totally rocks. Thanks for sharing such a great message. I loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was lovely! Thanks! :) It made me smile!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts