Mom, Mommy, Ma, Mother

If there is one thing that I think about everyday it is about becoming a wife and a mother. Like most girls, I have had weddings planned in my head since birth. I'm not exactly sure what my wedding will be like, but I am completely positive on what it WON'T be like. I know that I will love my husband with all I have, he will be my best friend, he will be my everything. There is nothing that will break the bonds of our relationship, and that I cannot wait for. I also cannot wait to be a parent with him, to raise beautiful sons and daughters of our Heavenly Father together.

This whole post might seem weird to some of you, but it is how I feel. Honest to goodness. I think of all the great things that come from being a mother and I am so excited to have that opportunity. I'm not sure if many girls in this day-and-age have this goal. I have met plenty of girls who are excited to become mothers one day, but not many who have that as their main goal. I guess, it becomes a tad unrealistic when you can't even get yourself a boyfriend... but, it's whatever. I'm not "on the hunt" for a man or anything, but I do know what my life goal is. I do know, that on my grave it will say, daughter, sister, wife and in big capital letters.. MOTHER.

I was reading this talk by Gordon B. Hinckley and it was addressed to mothers. I read this last little section and it just filled my heart with joy. I couldn't get enough of the job description... can you see it? I will put in bold those words..

God bless you, dear friends. Do not trade your birthright as a mother for some bauble of passing value. Let your first interest be in your home. The baby you hold in your arms will grow quickly as the sunrise and the sunset of the rushing days. I hope that when that occurs you will not be led to exclaim as did King Lear, “How sharper than a serpent’s tooth it is to have a thankless child!” (King Lear, I, iv, 312). Rather, I hope that you will have every reason to be proud concerning your children, to have love for them, to have faith in them, to see them grow in righteousness and virtue before the Lord, to see them become useful and productive members of society. If with all you have done there is an occasional failure, you can still say, “At least I did the very best of which I was capable. I tried as hard as I knew how. I let nothing stand in the way of my role as a mother.”

I can't wait to love someone so much that I get the opportunity to raise them and watch them grow and learn. I will get the opportunity to take care of one of Heavenly Father's most precious spirits, and help them realize their potential. I really hope that I can prepare enough, and take the right steps, NOW, to become a great mother for my children, later. I hope they can look down on me from heaven and say, "That's my mom!" because they know that I will take the utmost care of them. I have so much love and passion for them already, I can barely contain it!
It feels good to just sometimes, sit and think about how good the future will be. Without any interruptions about heartache, or hardship. Just sit and think about my dreams. That is good stuff I tell ya!

Comments

  1. While I agree that most girls do not have being a wife and mother as their main life goal, I am definitely one of the select few. In fact its the only future I see for myself. I wouldn't say I'm in a rush or anything, I'm still very young, but I am truly excited to begin my "life" as I sometimes think of it.

    Love this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are going to be an AMAZING mother. 8)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are going to be an awesome mom!

    It's my goal too, I really want to be a great mom and raise my kids in a loving home. I'm not ready for kiddos yet, but it's definitely in my future :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being a mother is the most rewarding job you will ever do in your life. But on the other hand it is for sure the hardest thing in the world. I mean you are responsible for the salvation of them, AAAAHHHHHHHH! It is super scary!
    I know you will be a wonderful, rightous mother. And you will raise up some great children.

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being a mother and a wife is a true goal and dream of mine, but on the other hand I try not to think of it as my whole world. Because there is no guarantee that I'll ever find a man to marry (I don't even get asked out so a husband is a long way off) and I don't want to wrap up my entire self worth in whether that happens or not. If no one marries me I don't want to have nothing else to love and live for. That's why, for the moment, I have many other dreams as well.

    I guess this is to say, I agree but I also think that for some people it's not a choice we get to make on whether to make a life out of being a mother or not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally understand your point Katie. I didn't go onto that side of the spectrum with this post because I was already feeling down. I do however, think about the what if's. I don't get asked out on dates EVER and the possibility of me not getting married is out there. My dream of being a Mom does take up my whole world, mainly because I can't see myself doing anything else. But I do like to think, if it doesn't happen for me in this life, Heavenly Father will help me choose what I should do and how I should be. With that said, I know that it's my calling to be a mother, through God. It's a very personal inspiration and I don't expect everyone to believe that, but respecting it is a totally different story.

    I loved your insight, and I'm glad you said that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always been "that" girl who never wanted kids or a husband. I want my career to be my life.

    However, as I get older I am starting to change my mind on the husband part...kids? Still not sure on that one.

    What I do know...is that you will make a fabulous mother. Also, I want to be Aunt Alex to your offspring, deal?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw! That is so sweet! I missed this post somehow, but I'm glad I got to read it later rather than never!

    You'll be a great mother simply because you want it. Those babies in your future are going to be so so loved!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts