Someone People Want to be Around

Today was a beautiful day. Not only was the weather insanely perfect but Relief Society was seriously meant for me. It started out with this story about Joseph Smith. One time when the presicution to the saints was becoming really strong Joseph was traveling to his mothers home. When he got there, a few army men came to the door and asked for him and said that they were there to "Kill Joseph" Joseph being the brave and couragous man he was, met them at the door and shook each one of their hands. He introduced himself and asked each one of them their names with compelte civility. Then their minds immediately turned. The officers told him they would keep him safe, and told the rest of their small army to stand down and not hurt him, or any of the members in the area. His one act of kindness, of respect for other people, and being loving towards everyone saved his life, and many others.

As a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints I have sort of a standard to conduct. A way that I should present myself, to represent my beliefs as best I can. We talked a lot about how sometimes we judge people and think down of them because of their faults. Or how even sometimes we think down of ourselves and our faults. Which causes us to become pessimists and sometimes even fall away from our standards. This is true for everyone. Being a peacemaker is what we should strive for. We should make situations better because of our love for others.

There is this girl named Amber in my ward. As soon as I was a part of the ward I was drawn to her personality and her ways. She just seems to be the nicest person. She told about how when she was on her mission she had a compainion that was the most beautiful girl she had ever seen and just the most loving person. Her love was constant and she always saw the best in people. In turn she loved herself, and she loved everything about herself. Not in a concieted way, but in a way that made it so she was second, because her service was first.

Another girl talked about her friend who was so amazing. He was one of those people everyone loved to be around. Because he actually listened, whenever someone talked to him, or told him a story about a difficult situation they were in he sincerly wanted to know and wanted to hear them. Then, later on in their friendship he would tell them, I think you are awesome because of this, and how you handled that situation. He took and honest interest in people and gave people feedback, which was always good. One day she told him, you know you do this for everyone it is amazing! Then he told her, it hadn't always been like that for him. It took work for him to listen, and for him to be a good person and take the time to really understand and love people.

I decided that this lesson was amazing right then and there. I decided I didn't listen. I don't listen. I never listen to someone else, I am always talking about myself and my issues. I never tell people how amazing they are, even when I see it. I told my friend Frank, remember Frank? That he needed to love people and not be afraid to open his heart. I have realized that I don't love people as well as I should. I don't give everyone a chance. I need to open up my heart and be caring and give people compliments and see their good qualities instead of their faults. I really just want to be a more loving person. The kind of girl who will show up in other people's stories. You know, when people say... I know this girl who is so nice to everyone, she never has a bad word to speak about anyone. I guess what I really want is just to be someone people want to be around. Someone that draws others in, and makes other people feel good about themselves.

It is a good goal. I think. To be better, not just in reading my scriptures and saying my prayers, but in other things as well. Like this, to be a happy and loving person.

I hope you all have a great week and that the sun shines where you are sometime this week! :D

Comments

  1. This was a great post.
    I love that story about the prophet.
    Don't you love when a talk or a lesson seems like it was done just for you??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved RS yesterday. and I am stalking your blog now. you should feel lucky!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts