What Did You Say? Hm???
Recently, this has become a major problem. So huge in fact, that I think I have made friends through it. Which isn't bad, it's just that it wasn't my choice. I didn't decide to have this issue with myself, I just do. Then I read an article in July 08's Cosmo and I was like hmm... maybe that's how it all started.

I think I might be semi-deaf. Ok, ok, maybe that is taking it too far. But I know I have a problem. Maybe my attention span is only 15 seconds long. No, that's not it. Because I can pay attention to someone who is speaking and truthfully not hear a word. Let me explain to you the problems with my hearing. First of all, it is the worst when I first meet someone. Last night I went to FHE (family home evening)it was actually a pretty big gathering and there were a ton of people there. (BAD SIGN!) I want to meet new people so I start to talk to everyone that I make eye contact with. I say Hi, and blah ditty blah blah. Then, the worst part... I hear the first few words they are saying then out of no where I can't understand them. I keep asking them, "What was that?" "Your name is BOMB?!" (Tom) "Wow so your going to UNR? That doesn't make much sense... You mean UNLV?" (They said UNLV but somehow it all gets mixed up.) It's hopeless, from then on they think I am half grandma and half... well WAY TOO YOUNG. Being 18 and in the singles ward is like being a beehive all over again.
Oh yeah, and I have made friends through this horrible thing too. How? Well, I have no idea but I did, because after they bumped into me and said excuse me, I thought they introduced themselves so I ask " Whats your name again?" Because I am deaf. Not literally, because if I were actually deaf I would speak an entirely different language then everyone else. (Different Topic)
On the other side of this, it could be an endearing quality. You know, if a guy thinks it's cute that I have to ask him 8 times what he said, because I didn't understand or didn't hear him completely. That did happen the other night though...
Guy Friend: Do you dshalkgw hong?
Me: Do I what?
Guy Friend: Do you LIKE THIS SONG?
Me: Oh yeah, it's pretty good... So tell me something about yourself.
Guy Friend: Oh ok, What do you want to know?
Me: ANYTHING! Tell me something funny.
Guy Friend: When I was fjklsjfwllks ther slfjkeejf se. Wwhksjf Wihglskdfwhohgkwl sdhksjds
Me: Wait.. say that again? (reaches for nob on stereo)
Guy Friend: I said...f wkljflkwjlrwk wohqoryqrqn shwoit. Whowkljwoi shkkkehhg.
Me: Sorry, say that one more time...
Guy Friend: When I was on my mshfwlj there sfsjwlkwe fsuoiwjl. I sjlwkjgw
Me: Oh really?
Guy Friend: Did you hear what I just said?
Me: Um no... sorry. (bats eyelashes..)
Guy Friend: Nevermind. *Laughs*
Do you see how this can be bad? Because I just said oh really to something I wasn't sure of, because I didn't want to ask him if he could say it again... It could be cute, or it could be down right annoying. Oh yeah and don't bother calling me and talking to me on the phone, because half the time I don't understand what you are saying. I just say hmmm.. then start a new conversation and try harder to understand you. Because I have NO idea what you are talking about.
Oh yeah and WHISPERING. Who does that? Don't whisper in my ear!! Especially during church. I know you might be itching to tell me all about your weekend but just wait until we can speak in regular volumes because, even then there is a 40% chance that I still won't understand what you are saying.
In the issue of the Cosmo mention above it talked about how you should listen to music at a speaking volume, otherwise you will have problems with hearing. WOW I should listen to this advice.... If I could HEAR it!!!

I think I might be semi-deaf. Ok, ok, maybe that is taking it too far. But I know I have a problem. Maybe my attention span is only 15 seconds long. No, that's not it. Because I can pay attention to someone who is speaking and truthfully not hear a word. Let me explain to you the problems with my hearing. First of all, it is the worst when I first meet someone. Last night I went to FHE (family home evening)it was actually a pretty big gathering and there were a ton of people there. (BAD SIGN!) I want to meet new people so I start to talk to everyone that I make eye contact with. I say Hi, and blah ditty blah blah. Then, the worst part... I hear the first few words they are saying then out of no where I can't understand them. I keep asking them, "What was that?" "Your name is BOMB?!" (Tom) "Wow so your going to UNR? That doesn't make much sense... You mean UNLV?" (They said UNLV but somehow it all gets mixed up.) It's hopeless, from then on they think I am half grandma and half... well WAY TOO YOUNG. Being 18 and in the singles ward is like being a beehive all over again.
Oh yeah, and I have made friends through this horrible thing too. How? Well, I have no idea but I did, because after they bumped into me and said excuse me, I thought they introduced themselves so I ask " Whats your name again?" Because I am deaf. Not literally, because if I were actually deaf I would speak an entirely different language then everyone else. (Different Topic)
On the other side of this, it could be an endearing quality. You know, if a guy thinks it's cute that I have to ask him 8 times what he said, because I didn't understand or didn't hear him completely. That did happen the other night though...
Guy Friend: Do you dshalkgw hong?
Me: Do I what?
Guy Friend: Do you LIKE THIS SONG?
Me: Oh yeah, it's pretty good... So tell me something about yourself.
Guy Friend: Oh ok, What do you want to know?
Me: ANYTHING! Tell me something funny.
Guy Friend: When I was fjklsjfwllks ther slfjkeejf se. Wwhksjf Wihglskdfwhohgkwl sdhksjds
Me: Wait.. say that again? (reaches for nob on stereo)
Guy Friend: I said...f wkljflkwjlrwk wohqoryqrqn shwoit. Whowkljwoi shkkkehhg.
Me: Sorry, say that one more time...
Guy Friend: When I was on my mshfwlj there sfsjwlkwe fsuoiwjl. I sjlwkjgw
Me: Oh really?
Guy Friend: Did you hear what I just said?
Me: Um no... sorry. (bats eyelashes..)
Guy Friend: Nevermind. *Laughs*
Do you see how this can be bad? Because I just said oh really to something I wasn't sure of, because I didn't want to ask him if he could say it again... It could be cute, or it could be down right annoying. Oh yeah and don't bother calling me and talking to me on the phone, because half the time I don't understand what you are saying. I just say hmmm.. then start a new conversation and try harder to understand you. Because I have NO idea what you are talking about.
Oh yeah and WHISPERING. Who does that? Don't whisper in my ear!! Especially during church. I know you might be itching to tell me all about your weekend but just wait until we can speak in regular volumes because, even then there is a 40% chance that I still won't understand what you are saying.
In the issue of the Cosmo mention above it talked about how you should listen to music at a speaking volume, otherwise you will have problems with hearing. WOW I should listen to this advice.... If I could HEAR it!!!

shelb you seriously kill me. sooo hilarious!
ReplyDeletesometimes I have problems with my words, and ill mix up what I say.. i feel dumb, but whatever.
Hahaha!
ReplyDeleteIf wanted to be nice I'd say "how cute I'm sure boys will adore that."
But since I"m going to be completely honest I"ll say:
"That sounds real obnoxious. Poor poor you."
hey i have this problem too!!!! and what really sucks is i can't read lips at all..so people try to mouth something to me from across a room and i have to stop and walk over to them and say "im sorry i can't read lips at all can you talk like a normal person so i know what your talking about" ya it sucks! but i feel your pain! LOVE YA
ReplyDeleteshelby! you make me laugh with your kdshalfewioanv words...im semi-deaf too though, its ok
ReplyDeleteWOW! That is some serious stuff. I wish you the best of luck on that one!
ReplyDelete