Promise Yourself

Some days are harder than others. When you feel like you've lost a huge chunk of your soul, it is not that easy to get over. If you know me well, you know that I put my whole heart into people. I love people. I guess it hasn't been that evident in the past six months since being home from my mission, because I was putting my heart and soul into one person. Falling in love, is exactly that, falling. I think to fall in love really, you need to remember to not fall out of yourself.

There comes a moment in our lives when we have to decide who we are. Ok, maybe it's not just a "moment" it's a million moments in one. I'm here to tell you, deciding who you are isn't all it's cracked up to be. Oh sure you get to decide fun things like; what color your hair will be, whether you will be an overall or jean shorts person, where you go on vacation, and so on. But there are also decisions that aren't so fun; How will you respond when a loved one dies? What will your reaction be when you fall out of love? What are your life goals? All things that matter, and not just for you, for the people around you. If you think for one second that you are living this life in a bubble, footloose and fancy free, you have been sadly mistaken. The decisions you make effect others greatly. So greatly in fact, that they could alter the course of someone else's life entirely. Just because of who YOU are. Scary right?

So how do we not fall out of ourselves? When things change, and the people in our lives change, what do we do so that we can stay, or become better, versions of ourselves? Really, I'm not sure. I'm not here to answer life's biggest questions. I believe that, that is what God is for. All I can really say is this, if you don't live up to the promises you make, you are nothing.

Lately, I have been trying to figure out who I am, and how to love myself for that person. And I think I just realized that to love who you are, you have to love what you do. I found this post called, "10 Painfully Obvious Truths Everyone Forgets Too Soon" and in one of them it says, "Good things don’t come to those who wait; they come to those who work on meaningful goals. Ask yourself what’s really important and then have the courage to build your life around your answer." You have to love what you build your life around. I have made some really bad decisions in my life, but I have also made some really good ones. And when I come back to it, choosing to fall in love is always a really good decision. Wether it be with a person, an activity, or a faith, it has always benefited me. 


Now to try and answer my own question, How do we not fall out of ourselves? We keep the promises we make, and we forgive ourselves if we break them.

Comments

Popular Posts