The True Spirit of Christmas

I took this passage below from a talk by Thomas S. Monson the President and Prophet of, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. You can find the footnotes, and the rest of the talk here on www.lds.org.

When we have the spirit of Christmas, we remember Him whose birth we commemorate at this season of the year. We contemplate that first Christmas day, foretold by the prophets of old. You, with me, recall the words from Isaiah: “Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel”—meaning “God with us.”

On the American continent, the prophets said: “The time cometh, and is not far distant, that with power, the Lord Omnipotent … shall dwell in a tabernacle of clay. … He shall suffer temptations, and pain. … And he shall be called Jesus Christ, the Son of God.” (This is from the Book of Mormon)

Then came that night of nights when the shepherds were abiding in the fields and the angel of the Lord appeared to them, announcing the birth of the Savior. Later, Wise Men journeyed from the East to Jerusalem, “Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him. …

“When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceeding great joy.

“And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense, and myrrh.”

Times change; years speed by; but Christmas continues sacred. In this marvelous dispensation of the fulness of times, our opportunities to give of ourselves are indeed limitless, but they are also perishable. There are hearts to gladden. There are kind words to say. There are gifts to be given. There are deeds to be done. There are souls to be saved

President David O. McKay (1873–1970) declared: “True happiness comes only by making others happy—the practical application of the Savior’s doctrine of losing one’s life to gain it. In short, the Christmas spirit is the Christ spirit, that makes our hearts glow in brotherly love and friendship and prompts us to kind deeds of service.

“It is the spirit of the gospel of Jesus Christ, obedience to which will bring ‘peace on earth,’ because it means—good will toward all men.”

Giving, not getting, brings to full bloom the Christmas spirit. Enemies are forgiven, friends remembered, and God obeyed. The spirit of Christmas illuminates the picture window of the soul, and we look out upon the world’s busy life and become more interested in people than things. To catch the real meaning of the “spirit of Christmas,” we need only drop the last syllable, and it becomes the “Spirit of Christ.”

It is so incredibly easy to get caught up in the material aspects of Christmas. I want to share with all of you that read this blog, something near and dear to my heart. My testimony of the Savior. I believe in Christ, I believe in the power of the Holy Ghost and the power and strength that God gives me when I need it most. Christ came to this earth voluntarily, and gave his life that we might all live ours in abundance and peace. Knowing, that we will return to him one day. He suffered not only our sins but our sorrows and pains. My elder brother, our elder brother, was born under the most humble circumstances as a king and a ruler. He loves me, and I love him. I know that I feel his love, and that I can be more Christlike in my life, just by keeping the Spirit of Christ with me. This is my testimony.

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays, whatever you celebrate, or don't celebrate. Be happy, live with love in your heart and kindness in your soul. Happy people are good people, and good people are the best! haha I love you all and I'm so glad to have this place in the world to express my love for my religion and my feelings about Christmas! Have a great Christmas Eve, and Christmas!

Comments

  1. Awesome post. Too bad our ratings are only LOS. Your coolness would definitely bump you up.

    -c

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are awesome! Thanks for sharing your testimony :)

    I hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is beautiful Shelby. Thanks for this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thank you as well. Good going for putting some spirituality on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful words, both the passage and yours, to start my morning. Thank you for sharing! And Merry Christmas!

    Xo, Katie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts